“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
What does the team do?
The Instore Fulfilment Simulation Team works in Ocado’s cutting edge Simulation Area. They combine Software Engineering and Research and Development to build digital models of Ocado’s OSP In Store Fulfilment solution. This is a fascinating modelling domain, as it requires us to model unpredictable and complex human behaviour and interactions. The simulation tool is used to answer critical business questions, and to optimize software algorithms and business processes, so there’s a great opportunity for someone to have a significant impact on the future of Ocado.
As part of Ocado’s Research and Development community, the Simulation teams contribute to the innovation that fuels Ocado’s growth. Candidates should be comfortable working in a number of different roles:
- As a developer, creating simulations of a wide range of physical systems and designing prototypes of the control algorithms that run them;
- As an analyst, generating and using large datasets to help inform business decisions and system design;
- As a researcher, using these tools to optimise algorithms and business processes and constantly striving to improve the efficiency and profitability of Ocado.
What would I be doing?
We’re looking for a leader who can do an amazing job of getting the best out of the people in the team, while helping the team members to reach their development goals. That said, we expect a lot from our leaders, so we’d also want you to be on top of the technical solution. Our team leaders pair with a product counterpart, so need to be an excellent communicator and team player.
What we’re looking for
You will have:
- Solid Java;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Experience of or strong interest in simulation, algorithms and modelling;
- A strong desire to build and lead an effective team of software developers;
- Experience of Leading a team of software developers;
- Process, performance, personal development and conflict resolution;
- Experience and interest in synthetic data and modelling;
- Knowledge of Guava, Maven and Gitlab;
- Experience of analysis using tools such as SQL and Python.
About Ocado Technology
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
Find out more about how we are pioneering the future through serial technology innovation here.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Hybrid Working patterns (varies depending on your role/team)
- 30 days Work from Anywhere policy
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Our Talent Community is a great way to stay up-to-date with our latest career opportunities, as well as news and relevant careers insights. Register today, and be the first to be notified when a role we think you’d be perfect for becomes available.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover costs relating to the Certificate of Sponsorship and the Immgration Skills Charge only. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.