“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
In the Bot System Engineering team our mission is to promote system thinking and drive innovation in Ocado’s disruptive environment. We’re trailblazing when it comes to robotics and automated logistics solutions and with our rapid company growth, now’s the time to join us and be part of the ‘Ocado Revolution’. We’re looking for a passionate Team Leader to join us, who will be responsible for providing leadership to our Systems Engineering team, whilst continuing to improve effectiveness and quality of control systems on bot products.
How you'll spend your days...
The Wireless Product Development team is focused on solving the communication challenges faced by our fleet of robots which retrieve and store groceries in our warehouses.
Our technology stack today incorporates a custom OFDMA radio solution based on 4G technology with a novel SIL3 rated safety system. The physical layer implementations of these custom products are implemented using Digital Signal Processing (DSP) in a state of the art Software Defined Radio (SDR).
This role is to develop and extend in-house DSP communication products to drive new innovations as well as managing existing implementations in production to allow fleets of many thousands of robots to operate seamlessly.
You will be joining a well established team of largely upper stack developers. We are looking for an enthusiastic DSP specialist, who can extend our team’s capabilities with knowledge of communications algorithms and their implementation on modern multi-core DSP platforms.
We’d love to talk to you if you have...
- Substantial knowledge of modern radio communications systems and how they are decomposed into building blocks and how each building block is realised.
- Confident in executing the complete workflow when implementing new algorithms; from mathematical modelling to on-chip optimisation
- Familiar with vendor toolchains for various DSP and FPGA chips
- An in depth understanding of low-level software development
- A solid grasp of RF test methodologies (spectrum analysis etc.)
- Comfortable with embedded Linux operating systems
- An ability to break down complex problems into addressable milestones
- Mentoring and coaching colleagues
- Great communication and interpersonal skills
- Providing last-line support for production systems
- Ability to develop detailed documentation to a high standard
You'll stand out from the crowd if you also have...
- An interest in expanding technical knowledge both in areas of core expertise and more generally
- The ability to quickly understand how code written by others and spread across different projects and languages combine to deliver an overall system function
- A working knowledge of modern Continuous Integration pipelines
- Capable of architecting features at both a high level and at the detailed implementation level, so that you can guide others in their tasks.
- Strong understanding of RF principles, such as antennas, propagation and link budget modelling
- Some hands-on lab work for test and debug
- Networking principles, such as DHCP, DNS, VLANs etc.
- A working knowledge of the full product lifecycle of embedded electronic devices (blank page design, proof of concept demonstrators, productionisation, manufacturing and maintenance)
- Appreciation of security, reliability, scalability and availability requirements
Please don't worry, this is not an exhaustive list! If you feel you'd be a good fit for the role there are some things we can teach you, so we would still love to hear from you.
What we offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield office
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.