Ocado provides innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world with nine partnerships across North America, Europe, Asia and Australasia. To match consumer demand in the UK and to enable our business to provide solutions to our partners across the globe, we are scaling quickly. Over 2021 we will be live with OSP across seven of our international partners.
The commercial counsel will support the business on all aspects of domestic and international general commercial work, offering counsel on legal issues and facilitating the development of business strategies, whilst overseeing and maintaining legal compliance and limiting risk and potential exposure.
In addition, the commercial counsel will be expected to provide support on a broad range of other legal matters including M&A and other strategic transactions as well as intra group arrangements
If you are looking for an in-house role that gives you autonomy in a successful team and growing organisation, where your advice and guidance is highly valued and will contribute directly to the success of an ambitious business, please read on and apply!
What will you be doing?
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on existing Ocado Solution Platform contracts;
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide range of domestic and cross border general commercial work in respect of technology and software including:
- technology and hardware procurement arrangements including supply and/or manufacture agreements
- technology design appointments
- IT procurement including cloud services, SaaS and IT licences
- IP matters including collaboration agreements, licensing and cross-licensing
- logistics and distribution agreements
- Ensuring compliance with corporate governance (including competition/antitrust policies) as part of any transaction;
- Identifying and advising on IP, competition and data protection issues in the context of commercial contracts;
- Supporting on M&A and strategic transactions, for example in respect of due diligence or commercial arrangements such as transitional services agreements;
- Involvement in transactions with, and advising in respect of, prospective and existing clients of the Ocado Solutions Platform;
- Liaising and managing external counsel effectively from a delivery, risk and cost perspective on a daily basis.
- Developing and providing training and legal updates to the business on various areas of the law and regulatory matters; and
About you ?
- Qualified Solicitor/Barrister with approximately five-seven years post qualification experience as a general commercial or technology lawyer (but this does not preclude applications from those with more or less PQE)
- Ideally will have trained with a leading law firm or well-respected in-house team with a particular focus on commercial transactions
- Excellent level of domestic and cross border transactional experience drafting, negotiating, and advising on a wide variety of commercial contracts in respect of technology investments, engineering and IT procurement, design, manufacture, supply and licensing including master service agreements, collaboration agreements, general terms and conditions, SaaS subscription agreements, logistics & distribution agreements and e-commerce agreements.
- Can deal effectively with competing priorities and tight deadlines and manage competing demands from various stakeholders
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to provide commercial and solution focused advice while identifying risk
About Ocado Group
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own groundbreaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate, and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry also means transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams, and developing new ways of working.
Ocado employee experience is very important to us, in Trident Place we offer weekly exercise classes,we have a games room, a coffee shop and an amazing food hall to satisfy you at any time of day with breakfast, lunch and dinner.
All Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 25 days holiday, 15% discount on your weekly Ocado shop, paternity and maternity leave, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships and family friendly offers.