“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is the in-house technology division of over 1,000+ software developers, engineers, researchers and scientists that uses the latest in AI, robotics, cloud services, big data, and mobile technologies. We brainstorm, design, architect, innovate, experiment, build and maintain the systems that power Ocado.
Building this cutting edge technology is only possible through extensive simulation, which drives decisions around warehouse design, business planning and control algorithms. On a given day we might simulate months of warehouse operation and years of supply chain.
We’re looking for someone to join our Fulfilment Analyst team to provide valuable insight to the wider business. You will work closely with these diverse stakeholders to understand their requirements, then configure the appropriate simulations and convert the results into clear and meaningful analysis. Through research, experimentation and collaboration, you will become an expert in some of Ocado’s most advanced and complex technology.
About the team
The Analyst team generates insights for product teams within the Fulfillment stream. Our aim is to help teams make data-driven decisions and assess the impact of new features they build. Currently, the Analyst team comprises four members in London and Bulgaria, with varying skills and experience. This will be our first simulation analyst hire for the Fulfilment stream, but there are a number of other simulation analysts in the wider Ocado Technology division, who can provide support and guidance if required.
About the work
A typical piece of analysis work may involve:
- Liaising with stakeholders to understand their requirements
- Determining how best to answer these questions, which might be existing data, a spreadsheet model, a suite of simulations, or even not to answer at all
- Anticipating any additional functionality required (to the simulation, algorithms or tooling), and communicating with the relevant development teams
- Planning and configuring appropriate simulation studies
- In-depth analysis of the results, building a complete picture of the simulation behaviour
- Running further experiments and investigations into any unexpected or interesting behaviours
- Producing an accessible and understandable summary of the results, at the appropriate level of detail, with a clear description of the limitations and assumptions made
The analysis will typically involve using some of the following (previous experience desirable): Microsoft Excel, Python (e.g. Jupyter, Pandas), Google Data Studio, SQL, Google BigQuery.
We’re interested in speaking to people who have:
- Proven numeracy and a strong academic record, probably demonstrated by a good STEM degree (or higher) from a top university
- Demonstrable experience of using data to answer open-ended research questions and provide rigorous interpretations of the results
- A keen eye for detail, with the inquisitiveness and drive to understand things in depth
- Speed of learning, ability to quickly pick up new ideas and use a wide range of tools to solve challenging problems
- Ability to communicate clearly and precisely with technical and non-technical teams, both verbally and in writing
- Drive to continually improve themselves and their team, and to find better ways of working
- Proven experience using SQL and Python
Bonus points for experience with any of the following:
- Google Data Studio/BigQuery, advanced spreadsheet use
- Any other analysis tools or approaches
- Professional or academic data-driven research
- Use of simulation to understand complex systems
- Applied statistics (e.g. significance testing, regression, machine learning)
- Retail operations, or Ocado’s new “Rainbow” CFC technology
- Business process mapping within operations or technology
- Recommending or implementing business performance improvements
- Working with software development teams and business stakeholders
- Kanban or other agile methodologies
What we offer you
- Great remuneration package
- 25 days paid leave
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave policy
- Free Share Plan program
- Share Purchase Plan program
- Work-life balance and work from home practice
- A choice of equipment (MacOS / linux / windows)
- Both in house and external training programs
- Your own training dedicated budget (for conferences, courses etc.)
There’s a lot going on at Ocado Technology! Click to find out more about our values and our recruitment process.
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.