“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
What does the team do
We are Product Discovery and we build the online shopping experience for our retailer’s customers. Working with retail partners around the world, our engineering teams strive to create the next-generation shopping platform that will change the way the world shops.
More specifically within this mission, the Search team helps shoppers to find what they’re looking for, wherever they are, in a relevant and personalised way. Findability are a full stack web development cluster made up of engineers that design and build both the best user experience on our React/NodeJS front end and a reliable and performant set of Java backend microservices.
What would I be doing / Learning
We are looking for a Senior Front End who can become a “go-to” person in the team - building great expertise in the Product Discovery domain, facilitating and contributing to problem solving and knowledge sharing with others in the team and department. As well as working as part of the cross functional team to find and implement great solutions, we are looking for someone who will support the technical decision making process and help the growth of more junior engineers.
You will plan and develop key features partnering with the UX design and product management teams to innovate and create new design and interaction concepts that support a rich user experience. You will build and maintain our UI component library, building interfaces that excite our users. You will work closely with our API engineers to define underlying interfaces that support your projects. You will take an active role in shaping the workflow and processes of your cross-functional team to create an environment that works for you.
What we are looking for
- Experience working with either Node.JS or React
- Highly proficient in CSS
- Passion for user experience
- A fundamental understanding of automated testing
- Comfortable writing production-quality code, and rapid prototyping
- Strong collaboration skills that will allow you to work effectively alongside a cross-functional team
- A desire to learn from others in order to improve your breadth and depth of knowledge.
- Proficiency in English (both verbal and written).
- Node.js restful APIs
- Experience with CSS-in-JS or CSS preprocessors
- Building features with Accessibility as a core requirement
About Ocado Technology
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
Find out more about how we are pioneering the future through serial technology innovation here.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Hybrid working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.