“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
What does the team do
As part of our Advanced Technology division, our talented robotics engineering teams are working to automate physical processes that require sensing and judgement through the use of robotics and machine vision.
Currently, our focus is on robotic pick - using sensors and robotic arms to pick customers’ orders. We are proud to say this is already live at our customer fulfilment centre based in Erith, but there is still much work to be done to streamline and harden the system for widespread deployment across all of our sites. We need gifted researchers and engineers to help us optimise the throughput of the system, and to enhance the system’s functionality so we can take our robotics products to the next level.
By using what we have learnt from the development of our robotic pick, we have been able to create even more cutting edge products,which help us to move pallets of stock and completed orders through our CFCs.
Our division is growing, and so we need great software engineers and roboticists of varied levels of experience to join us, forge a great team together, and drive the advancement of revolutionary robotics and automation.
What would I be doing?
At Ocado we work fast and we learn fast. The role as a Technical writer within the Advance technology team is to get stuck into the critical projects and work as a team to deliver products to the highest readiness. The role of technical writer involves liaising with the engineering and project management teams to produce, review and release high quality technical documentation including maintenance manuals, installation manuals, component maintenance manuals, standard operating procedures and safe systems of works as per an engineering development lifecycle. The role includes extracting information from various sources, which meets company expectations of high technical and format accuracy for use by various stakeholder during the entire product lifecycle.
- Analyse complex electro-mechanical systems, data and concepts, and synthesise documents and processes in Simplified Technical English (STE) based on ASD-STE 100 standards.
- As a member of an engineering project team, you will interact with a multi-disciplinary and cross-functional team to extract and analyse product engineering information, to conceptualise and create engineering documents.
- Much of your time will require active engagement with engineering projects and hands on data capture with your own independent task analysis.
- You will be responsible for workflow planning, where used and impact analysis on current configuration, fault tree analysis, hazard analysis to enable good execution of project work.
- You will be responsible for engineering validation of machinery installation and maintenance, as well as verification of associated documents. This will require flexibilty and a practical approach using your engineering expertise and experience. Although not physically demanding the work will require a "hands on" approach.
- Analyse and contribute to product requirements, functional design specifications, subsystem requirements, interface control documents, process charts, flow diagrams, manufacturing process documents, packaging and transportation specifications, factory acceptance tests, commissioning guides and site acceptance tests.
- Throughout the entire product lifecycle, create high quality new and revised documents which meet company expectations of high technical and format accuracy.
- Understand and interrogate 3D CAD models, engineering drawings, electrical schematics, engineering bill of materials, and also develop work figures, isometric, indented parts list and exploded view models for technical literature.
What we are looking for
- A degree in engineering (Electromechanical or equivalent industry experience).
- Previous experience of working as a Publication Engineer or in the field of Engineering Documentation is essential
- Engineer ideally will have had exposure to some Research and Development (R&D) and familiar with supporting new product development environments
- Skills, Traits and Attributes
- Possess an understanding of engineering work practices for (but not limited to) electromechanical engineering techniques and standards.
- Apply Ocado engineering practices, techniques, standards, principles, theories, and concepts to create process and work instructions.
- Proven background working in a structured authoring environment, and also have strong PC skills with high proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office products, functionality as daily work tools. (html, xml, sgml, ATA, S1000d desirable)
- Proven reasoning, analytical abilities and with strong mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to prioritize for maximum productivity for multiple projects.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to learn new applications quickly.
- Ability to identify potential issues, analyze and recommend improvements and alternative solutions.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions. Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Confident to challenge engineering design and concepts.
- Logical step by step problem solver
About Ocado Technology
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
Find out more about how we are pioneering the future through serial technology innovation here.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.