Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with the Kroger Family of Companies in the US to help redefine the grocery customer experience through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
Ocado has built and operates a series of large, automated Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) to satisfy increasing demand from customers for a high-quality and reliable delivery service for online grocery orders. Ocado has signed deals with a number of international Grocers to provide them with the Ocado Smart Platform to manage their automated CFCs and supporting head office software to provide a leading online grocery business.
As a result of our growth, a Construction and Installation team has been established to support our business and develop the capabilities needed to build and install the Ocado Smart Platform for clients across the world. As Ocado transforms there is a growing need to support multiple complex projects across new styles and sizes of CFCs.
We are looking for a VP of Construction and Installation for North America who will be accountable for the delivery of multiple parallel automation installations across client sites in the USA and Canada.
Day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Leadership & management of an Install and Commissioning team. This team should be able to plan projects, procure labor, manage suppliers and install and commission complex automation equipment against challenging budgets and timescales.
- Plan and schedule a portfolio of CFC projects with multiple stakeholders and their dependencies.
- Oversee the successful deployment and implementation of safety management systems during construction phases
- Ensure that significant adverse events are investigated, and that management introduce controls to reduce any risks
- Tender and negotiate multi-million $ contracts incorporating high labour content, technical difficulty against a challenging budget target.
- Support teams to remain agile and responsive to last-minute changes and still make go live dates also track or shadow clients plan and anticipate issues.
- Present and summarise technical issues and the commercial options available to the COO and Director of Construction & Installation for escalations and decisions.
- Responsible for MHE risk identification, mitigation and documentation. This requires anticipating engineering challenges and the need to manage and consult mitigations/issues (e.g. Prototypes, Engineering compliance etc.).
- Work with the business implementation team to formulate the capital installation budget of MHE hardware strategy and learnings ($15M to $45M)/site.
- Ensure each site delivers installation programmes against budget. Formally present variations, mitigations to the business at regular intervals and reforecast new budgets where required.
- Collaborate and enforce standards and processes to maximise efficiency and optimise costs.
- Proactively collaborate with other regional delivery teams and the central Install Excellence function to ensure all projects are following a common and constantly improving delivery process.
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- Experience of managing large groups of remote technical teams
- Engineering Graduate calibre ideally Chartered or professional status or equivalent proven competence
- Aptitude to lead on technical and commercial discussions with internal and external parties
- Ability to communicate strategy to senior stakeholders
- Ability to negotiate USA and Canadian legal trade contracts with Legal team and suppliers
- Ability to working in a fast-paced, agile and ambiguous environment
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
This position will be based out of our North American Headquarters in Tysons Corner, VA and will require significant travel. Remote opportunities with frequent travel will be considered.
What We Offer
- 401k Plan; 100% match up to 5% of earnings
- Paid Vacation and Sick Days
- 10 Paid Public Holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Reimbursement Account; Company Contribution of 50% of Annual Deductible
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
Learn about our partnership with Kroger:
- Kroger Bets on Robots With Ocado Deal
- Meet Ocado, Kroger’s Newest Weapon in Its Grocery Delivery War with Amazon and Walmart
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.