Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com* and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
Ocado Solutions is responsible for corporate partnerships, providing the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP") as a service to retailers around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications required to operate a world class online grocery business. It is underpinned by Ocado's proven expertise and experience as a dedicated online grocer in the UK.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Sobeys to help it redefine the grocery customer experience in Canada through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce!
What You Will Do
The Senior Engineering Operations Manager (SEOM) will manage, coordinate and lead the strategy of the Engineering Operations function of the customer fulfillment centre (CFC) ensuring an efficient and cost effective service to our operational customers. The successful candidate will manage the department, ensuring close working relationships and coordination between the Engineering support function and the Operation as well as to optimize the availability and performance of the facility, and its MHE automation. Additionally, the SEOM will set objectives for and monitor the performance of first line managers and team leaders, focus on continuous improvement, and champion change in all areas of MHE, operations, people and customer responsiveness.
As our Senior Engineering Operations Manager, your day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Manage specific Service Level Agreements performance levels agreed with the operational customer
- Plan and coordinate Engineering Operations activities through First Line Managers, ensuring the required level of service is delivered to customers
- Maintain and improve performance levels of immediate team and coach behaviours in first line reports to maximise efficiency / effectiveness in line with site KPIs
- Monitor the effectiveness of corrective actions and introduce preventative measures where appropriate
- Propose innovative ideas to enhance the warehouse functions and improve the general running of the business and lead site improvement programs
- Deliver a high availability level within the operation to maximize our customer experience
- Maintain and enhance the quality systems to ensure the site’s continuous improvement in a total quality environment
- Prepare, manage and work within the departmental budget to assist in overall achievement of targets
- Ensure site standards are high, apply an excellence approach to all activities and site standards, and ensure the team demonstrates this.
- Support the CFC Operation by being proactive and achieving targets within agreed upon timeframes
- Ensure effective communications within the Operational Team, ensuring the same message is delivered across the operation
- Responsible for communication of issues/information to senior management
- Ensure that day to day implementation of Health, Safety and Environment Policy and Practices are followed across the operation and managed according to Ocado standards
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request from time-to-time. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- A Bachelor's degree in Engineering or equivalent
- 10 years of operational experience, including on the shop floor, in an engineering environment and within a similar industry
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of technicians or engineers on the shop floor
- Excellent understanding of engineering systems
- Knowledge of and demonstrable competencies in relation to provincial health and safety legislation, in particular, the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate at all levels, within the business and with suppliers and customers
- Strong ability to organize, prioritize and maintain relevant information to support the business
- Sound analytical skills, good problem solver, and project management aptitude with proficiency in Excel, and Microsoft Applications
- Proficient understanding of compliance and regulations in region
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
- Experience of construction and installation in the region
- Excellent employee relations skills with a solid track record of dispute resolution
- Experienced with technology and IT, track record of holding escalation calls with engineers and technologists
- Ability to take ownership and accountability and demonstrate a keen sense of self-awareness in regard to strengths and development areas.
- Ability to build rapport with key stakeholders and be able to hold a balanced view and communicate with all levels of information.
- Must have the ability to travel domestically and internationally to headquarters located in the UK and other international locations, if required
This position is located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
We have revolutionized the online grocery world. Our technology is at the forefront of our business and it’s the people, like you, willing to challenge the norm to come up with innovative ideas that have enabled this. We offer a challenge like no other, interesting projects to work on and a sense that you are part of a team doing something different. With this being our first site in Canada, you will be part of our success in a new country, with opportunities to develop your career within a structured path, whether it be improving your technical skills and ability or progressing into management roles. So what are you waiting for?
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
What We Offer
- Paid Vacation and Sick days; Paid personal time per year and 10 public holidays.
- External Health Care includes : Coinsurance at 90%, prescriptions, Paramedical and other services.
- Health Care Spending Account
- Vision Care available; Dental Care 100% basic, 80% preventative
- Pension Plan; 100% match up to 6% of earnings
- Employee Assistance Program
- Income Protection
- Life Insurance
Learn about our partnership with Sobeys:
- Ocado seals new international tie-up with Sobeys in Canada
- A sneak peek at the future of grocery automation in Canada
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado Solutions values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.