“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
This team is responsible for storing and managing the most sensitive data that can be found within the entire OSP Platform - the personal data of our customers. Names, phone numbers, email addresses, addresses etc. Any leak of this data would be a huge problem for the company and the loss of our customers’ trust, so we put particular emphasis on its security.
Personal data is also core to the platform, so any change has a great impact, as many other services need to access our data to work properly. In turn, the availability and performance play a specially key role in our team.
Finally, we are also responsible for the backends for frontend of the core services. Thus, the team collaborates closely with frontend and UX teams in the department for the design of some of the features.
Role and Responsibilities
Leading & Influencing:
- Contribute towards technical decisions in your team.
- Help set standards and ways of working in your team.
- Support your team to deliver, contributing effectively to team continuous improvement.
- Responsible for your personal delivery towards team goals, managing and prioritising your workload effectively.
- Actively demonstrate the Ocado Technology Principles in the way you work.
Design for Future
- Contribute to technical discovery, sharing constructive ideas and critique.
- Participate in design activities and capture learning effectively.
- Design solutions with the Ocado Tech engineering principles in mind.
Deliver for Today
- Deliver business value that addresses today’s requirements, contributing to solving the related technical problems.
- Participate in the full product delivery lifecycle.
- Collaborate with, and review the work of others within your team.
- Identify and seek to reduce waste in our ways of working.
- Extract, gather and present data on the operation of your Product. Use this data to support future design and delivery.
Execute with Quality
- Familiarise yourself with the team’s domain and ways of working to adhere to and improve your team’s quality standards.
- Research and recommend industry practices that could benefit your team’s delivery.
- Implement and conduct testing in line with team standards.
- Find and fix security vulnerabilities where appropriate.
- Use and enhance diagnostics for your Product, in order to resolve faults.
- Deliver solutions to ongoing support queries.
- Provide 1st and 2nd line product support.
- Participate in out of hours support rota where agreed.
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Computer Science (or related subject) degree
- Good spoken and written English
- Experience in Java, or similar programming languages
- Happy to take an active role in supporting the business needs
- Passion and understanding for TDD and Clean Code
- Familiarity with continuous delivery concepts
- Desirable knowledge in AWS/Cloud environments
- Strong collaboration skills
- A desire to learn from others in order to improve your breadth and depth of knowledge.
What we can offer you
A relaxed, international, talented, creative and friendly environment, where we will provide you with the best tools to develop amazing stuff. We invest in our employees, ensuring we provide them with the best in-house and external training programs available. We also really encourage people to attend conferences and be involved in the local developer community.
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- 25 days of holidays per year
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance (3x your salary)
- Ticket Restaurant
- Ticket Transport
- Ticket Kindergarten
- Gym membership discounts
- Fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly social events
- Table football, board games and Nintendo Switch
- Tech Talks and internal trainings
- Developer exchange programmes between centres
- English, Spanish and Catalan language courses
We are growing rapidly, making it a very exciting time to join, as we are currently at a brand new office in the 22@ district - the thrilling tech area of Barcelona.
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.