“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
A bit about Ocado Technology
Our mission is to provide and support the innovative and resilient software solutions that enables Ocado to remain a world leader in online grocery. We believe in the power of agile and focus on delivering value incrementally, using data to constantly collect feedback from our systems to guide our future direction. Our teams operate with the freedom to work as they want and to design and build the best solution to business challenges they can.
Our technology division is responsible for the design and development of almost all the software that runs our business. The team solves challenging problems through the application of creative software systems and regularly takes on large complex software development projects.
We are looking for Software Engineer interns to help us work on designated software development projects, with an emphasis on writing robust, effective code, and developing, maintaining, deploying and supporting high-quality software systems. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society. You will be part of a small team of Software Engineers, who will mentor and support you with your personal development.
What makes a good intern?
- Someone who is working towards a degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or another relevant subject in any year of study
- Having a real passion for quality coding and cutting edge technology
- Being a logical thinker
- Embodying a collaborative approach to projects
- Not being afraid to think outside of the box
Not only are we looking for talented, ‘outside the box’ thinkers, we’re also looking for people who reflect our Core values – people who can learn fast through experimenting; who are autonomous through taking ownership and driving innovation; we want people who will collaborate and work well in high-performing teams. We value trust, honesty, and craftsmanship.
Our ideal candidate will...
- Bring a fresh outlook on smaller business projects that require attention
- Apply own knowledge and experience to existing Ocado Tech projects
- Approach the project collaboratively
- Work with and experience different tech stacks to develop skills
- Embrace Ocado Tech culture
- Gain valuable experience in a new area of Engineering/Technology
- Be a collaborative person who enjoys continuous self-improvement
- Be someone who can process complex theoretical ideas and apply them to practical systems
To find out more about Intern placements, or about working at Ocado Technology, please visit our website: www.ocadotechnology.com
Please note that this position is predominantly based in Hatfield but we do also have offices in Welwyn Garden City and in London so candidates will need to be prepared to travel to any site if required.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Hybrid Working patterns with two or more days in the office
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme dependent on length of service
- Private Medical Insurance
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Our Talent Community is a great way to stay up-to-date with our latest career opportunities, as well as news and relevant careers insights. Register today, and be the first to be notified when a role we think you’d be perfect for becomes available.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.