What does the team do
The Design Evolution team are focused on enabling step changes in the physical aspects of OSP. This sees the team focus on three main activities:
- Proactively identifying how new innovations could be applied to help OSP achieve its goals through a strong understanding of the wider MHE market and third party provider landscape
- Providing recommendations for solutions in pre-discovery phase: ie. taking a ‘problem to solve’ and surfacing a number of potential solutions to those problems
- Providing recommendations for how to achieve larger scale product improvements (cross stream, or new MHE) during the discovery process
The team’s remit extends to:
- Ocado’s physical product offering. This includes anything that has at least some hardware involvement but could include software implications too. The DE team does not look at software-only systems..
- Primarily, but not exclusively, third party solutions to meet our ‘problems to solve
What would I be doing?
The roles and responsibilities vary from assignment to assignment, but typically involve understanding the requirements of a particular programme or initiative, researching equipment and solutions that exists in the marketplace as well as conceiving solutions and approaches to addressing the requirements that don’t already exist. Using a structured approach the Concept Designer will analyse how well each of the potential solutions addresses a set of criteria and hurdle rates developed in conjunction with the Project Sponsor or his/her representative.
Design Evolution uses a double-diamond approach and is entirely involved in the ‘first diamond’ - Discover and Define. At the end of the ‘Define’ stage the Concept Designer will prepare a Project Foundation document that will be the starting point and foundation for all the project work that will take place (by others) in the 2nd diamond (Develop and Deliver). The Project Foundation Document is critically important - it collects together in one place all the learnings to date, and ensures that Ocado a) develop the right products and b) develop products that achieve a defined set of requirements.
What we are looking for
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Broad experience, with a track record of conceiving or managing complex multi-disciplined projects or initiatives
- A high calibre candidate with a track record of design, delivery and analysis of end to end projects using formal project management methodology and with the ability to “do” and “drive” as well as track and plan
- An analytical mind set with strong numeracy and analysis skills. Ability to collect and interpret the correct data to establish current performance and KPI baselines
- Ability to identify, validate and select the correct course of action and prioritise potential issues, risks or opportunities
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills which convey gravitas and inspires confidence in a manner that is inclusive and collaborative with the ability to influence in a confident, confidential and diplomatic manner with all stakeholders, including senior internal and external decision makers
- Ability to clearly articulate the business requirements, goals, project scope, and develop high-level project timelines into detailed programmes
- Articulate in both verbal and written communications with the ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
- The ability to deal with ambiguity and iterative development to produce a clear, coherent and concise output
- Comfortable with Google Suite. Proficient with MS Excel or GoogleSheets
- Confident with Pareto charts, histograms and analysis tools
- Experience with interpreting and adhering to relevant Acts, Regulations and Codes of Practice
- Commercially aware
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- Experience with Contract documentation
- Ability to use Sketch-up
- Strength in traditional project management would be desirable (APM / Prince2)
- Knowledge and experience of Construction, Design & Management (CDM) Regulations 2015 desirable but not essential
- Knowledge and experience with automation and Mechanical Handling Equipment (MHE) a major advantage, particularly development of layouts and Concepts.
- An engineering background
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.