About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
A little about our team…
Our Grid department has one of the most exciting and challenging products across our portfolio. Imagine developing an ultra high throughput automated system that is the size of 4 football pitches! We have a small dedicated product team that come from both non-hardware and hardware backgrounds who are passionate about our products, system thinking and embedding product craft into a hardware space.
A little about the product…
Think of the challenges of developing a product suite that a customer sees, a personal shopper has to use, and automated machines and robots have to interact with, in order for us to fulfill our customers orders. Starting to drill down beyond the +40 touch points with different interfaces & actors, this amazing product has to consider fire safety, food safety, weight limitations, work in different temperature regimes, last 10 years, require little to no maintenance, withstand continual industry cleaning, and be as cost effective as possible. Welcome to the exciting portfolio of the tote product.
How will I spend my days
You will be leading our Tote product portfolio. You will be part of the Retrieval Robotics Grid product area, partnering with the engineering teams and working with relevant stakeholders to define, realise and deliver the next generation grid for our OSP partners.
You won’t need to know everything about hardware, we have exceptional engineers on hand to help you learn and develop in our technologies. You will be a Product Manager whose passion is understanding problems, teasing out the value there is in solving them and loves exploring new concepts and technologies.
As our Product Manager you will have the aptitude to be able to understand the systems, be able to prioritise discoveries and development and work closely with users, engineers and delivery leads to decide product direction.
How you will spend your days
- Your first 60 days will be asking loads of questions to tease out the problems and use cases. As well as, building relationships and communicating your learnings and ideas
- Become the go to person for knowledge about the Tote product portfolio
- Share your deep understanding of our various systems and end users with your team
- Build relationships with a variety of stakeholders to unearth opportunities
- Gather user and stakeholder feedback to continuously refine the product and it’s roadmap
- Be an evangelist for your product strategy to align, inspire & help the engineering team focus on delivering maximum business value
- Promoting the ‘product craft’ and ways of working with engineering
- Apply dual-track agile to solve the right problems at the right time
- Product backlog management, including working with Project Managers to define user stories
- Managing your product releases across our international sites
- Constantly be monitoring progress and strategic landscape, adopting a continuous improvement mindset to capitalise on opportunities for your product
We’d love to hear from you if you have...
- Previous experience in a Product Management role, with deep knowledge of the craft
- Proven ability to balance delivery of customer, business & technical needs
- Defining product roadmaps and building collaboratively with design and engineering peers
- Ability to work in a team effectively and work autonomously
- An appreciation for physical products, industrial automation development and design
- An analytical mind set
It would be great but it's not essential if you have…
- Domain experience with physical products
- Experience of working in an ‘agile’ environment
- Experience working in a partnership with Product, Project & Engineering
- Ability to estimate the value of features or changes, performing cost-benefit analysis and constructing business cases
- Experience delivering or managing turnkey projects
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.