What the team does
Engineering Productivity (EngProd), our vision is that Development teams intuitively, and symbiotically, utilise our tools so they are as empowered, and informed, as possible in the creation and delivery of world beating solutions.
The Cloud team is powering every AWS account in the company, with direct contact to customers (other engineers in the company) . Our engineering teams enjoy unprecedented autonomy, huge responsibility and impossible deadlines. Automation and Client Satisfaction are our main objectives for upcoming quarters.
The Alto Cloud team enables Ocado to operate on a global scale by providing a reliable, secure & well supported managed Cloud platform. We leverage the power of AWS and automate as much as possible.
We are responsible for the provisioning, configuration, maintenance & support of resources in the several AWS services areas, including RDS, API Gateway, Elasticache, Keyspaces and IAM.
What would I be doing?
As a member of the Alto Cloud Services team you will be building upon the managed services, APIs and expertise of Amazon Web Services. You will be working alongside development and infrastructure teams to design, deliver, automate and operate mechanisms which allow engineering teams to focus on their own-domain problems, to allow them to rapidly leverage the power of AWS services in an effective way and removing the barrier(s) to entry.
In the role you will:-
- Develop applications and scripts aiming at further automating our processes and services
- Write, test & deploy new API-driven features to facilitate automation
- Analyse the state of our AWS-hosted resources across a portfolio of +50 accounts
- Develop automated tests for existing processes & applications
- Research & evaluate new AWS features as they are released
- Stay current with security related Cloud Technologies, including emerging trends, best practices, commonly adopted security strategies, and popular security related third-party solutions.
- Investigate & troubleshoot issues working alongside and on behalf of a wide range of engineering teams
- Support production systems outside of standard working hours and participating in 24x7 on-call rota.
What we are looking for
- We are looking for an experienced Python developer who either has experience with AWS and related infrastructure.
- Demonstrable experience as a Python software engineer working on applications’ development, automation and automated testing.
- Strong software development principles and best practices, architecture, design patterns, etc
- Demonstrable experience of working on AWS
- Understanding of Web Application architectures.
- Web Application development
- Appreciation of security, reliability, scalability and availability requirements.
- An appreciation for DevOps mindset (communication, collaboration, integration &
- Hands-on experience with the following AWS services: RDS, API Gateway, Elasticache, IAM
- Experience with a Python framework like Django or Flask
- Have worked designing, building and supporting REST APIs.
About Ocado Technology
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
Find out more about how we are pioneering the future through serial technology innovation here.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Hybrid Working patterns (varies depending on your role/team)
- 30 days Work from Anywhere policy
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Our Talent Community is a great way to stay up-to-date with our latest career opportunities, as well as news and relevant careers insights. Register today, and be the first to be notified when a role we think you’d be perfect for becomes available.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.