Business Development/Strategic Partnerships Analyst
We are seeking an experienced Business Development and Strategic Partnerships Analyst for our fast-growing North America Solutions team at Ocado Group. This group is responsible for our corporate international partnerships, bringing Ocado’s proprietary software and robotics platform to retailers around the world. Since 2017 we have signed agreements to provide our unique e-commerce solution to a number of the world’s largest grocers, including Groupe Casino (France), Sobeys (Canada), ICA (Sweden), Kroger (USA), Coles (Australia), AEON (Japan), Alcampo - Groupe Auchan (Spain).
The successful candidate will be comfortable with ambiguity, solutions-focused and with excellent analytical & communications skills and strong commercial acumen. This is a unique role with huge learning potential and a real opportunity to drive impact. This role will support the Kroger (USA) and Sobeys (Canada) Partnerships teams to facilitate effective cross-functional implementation and ongoing business development. They work closely with the partners to enhance and develop the relationships, and ensure the partnership is a commercial success for both parties.
- Partnership management: Support Partnership success through establishing standardized governance processes, both internally and with the partners. This role will have ownership of some discrete partnership workstreams and will need to understand business challenges and make recommendations
- Business model analytics: Build and run business models / analysis to support commercial business decisions, for example fee setting for technology innovation, with support from the Heads of Partnership and the Finance team
- Relationship development: Build lasting relationships with key internal stakeholders including colleagues from Engineering, Product and Legal, as well as collaborating with Technology, Finance, Retail and other subject matter experts across Ocado Group
- Day-to-day relationship management and organization: Own day to day Ocado-client activities, including logging and tracking actions, status updates, maintenance and standardization of project drives
- Planning and strategy: Support with general planning, future strategy, and administration of the account
- Internal governance: Coordination of allocated internal governance such as monthly steering meetings, collating packs, taking minutes and managing actions through to completion
- Cross-client projects and activities: Ownership of a number of cross client projects, such as:
- Internal business improvements; previous projects include the creation and maintenance of the Partnership Management methodology, improvement of client experience at CFC4, Client engagement activities; previous projects include the coordination of the Clubs initiative, where clients come together to discuss focused topics
- Ongoing governance; previous activities include the definition and execution of the Partnership Management risk management approach
- Coordination of allocated internal governance such as monthly steering meetings, collating packs, taking minutes and managing actions through to completion
- Strong analytical & numeracy skills with proficiency in Excel and data analysis
- Strong organizational skills: first class planning and organizing skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Effective communication and relationship building skills at all levels
- Problem solving nature
- A proactive, innovative, self-motivated and results-driven individual
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure, and respond well to changing priorities
- Ability to chair meetings
- Stakeholder management
- Strong desire and passion to collaborate with others towards a shared goal
- Flexible approach and can do attitude
- Ability to work well independently and manage own workload
- Extensive experience within a fast paced and sometimes highly pressurised environment
- Experience working in a cross-functional project environment
Preferred (in addition to minimum)
- Strategy consulting with preferred experience in Retail/consumer goods/e-commerce
- Project management and leadership skills
- Experience working in a client-facing environment
- Experience working effectively with different organisations, cultures and time zones
About Ocado Group
Ocado Group is a publicly-held, UK technology-led, global, software and robotics platform business, with a strong retail heritage. Ocado has been at the forefront of innovation in the online grocery industry since it was founded in 2000. Its retail business, Ocado.com, is one of the world’s largest online-only supermarkets with over £2.2bn annual revenue and over 795,000 active customers. Customers can shop from a huge range of products on award-winning web and mobile apps, and then enjoy convenient delivery options with world-leading order accuracy and reliability. Unlike traditional supermarkets with their large chain superstores, Ocado’s unique business model relies upon an ecosystem of solutions to serve both a wide range of customer missions and geographies.
About Ocado Solutions
Ocado Solutions is responsible for our corporate international partnerships, offering the proprietary Ocado Smart Platform (OSP) as a service to retailers around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado’s physical automation, allowing highly efficient preparation of orders, together with the full end-to-end software applications required to operate a world class online grocery business, bringing the best possible operational economics, consumer experience and service to our partners. Since 2017 we have signed agreements to provide our unique e-commerce solution to a number of the world’s largest grocers, including Groupe Casino (France), Sobeys (Canada), ICA (Sweden), Kroger (USA), Coles (Australia), AEON (Japan), Alcampo - Groupe Auchan (Spain) joining our UK partner Morrisons and the Ocado/M&S joint venture. 50+ Customer Fulfilment centres (CFCs) are already committed across our various partners. We continue to invest significantly in our technology and people in order to deliver for current clients and to forge exciting new partnerships.
About Kroger Partnership
Ocado Group announced an exclusive US partnership with Kroger - America's largest grocery retailer- in May 2018, and an initial commitment to build capacity equivalent to 20 CFCs across the US. In 2020, we extended the partnership to also include Ocado Group's in-store fulfilment solution (ISF), which will be rolled out across Kroger stores to support curbside pickup from 2021. Since 2018 we have announced the location of the first 10 CFCs in states across the USA, including Kroger’s first mini-CFC. The first CFC, located outside Kroger's hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio was introduced in April 2021. This was followed shortly after by the second CFC, Groveland, Florida, a brand new market to the Kroger brand.
About Sobeys Partnership
Sobeys (Empire Company Ltd) is the second-largest food retailer in Canada, operating 1,500 retail stores and generating almost $27bn in sales revenue in the year to May 2020.
In January 2018, Ocado signed a partnership agreement with Sobeys to launch an online grocery business in Canada using the end-to-end solutions within the Ocado Smart Platform (“OSP”). That business, Voila by Sobeys, is now live with a CFC in the Greater Toronto Area, and Ocado’s In-Store Fulfilment (ISF) software being rolled out to stores. Sobeys is due to go-live with their second CFC near Montreal in 2022, followed by a CFC in Alberta in 2023.
Our values: we’re in it together, we are proud of what we do, we can be even better……
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.