Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with the Kroger Family of Companies in the US to help redefine the grocery customer experience through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
This role, the Controls Engineer, reports to the Site Manager. This role has no direct report. You will be a part of the OSP MHE Implementation team. The OSP MHE Implementation team are responsible for on-site construction, contractor management and implementation of all component, machines and MHE systems for Customer Fulfilment Centres (FCs) for Ocado and their clients both in the UK and abroad.
Day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Ensure machine safety is installed correctly, (eg guarding, emergency stop circuits, functional safety).
- Check interaction of peripherals with bots; ensure that machines are electrically installed correctly to drawings and specification and that wiring fulfills USA and Canadian electrical safety standards and is checked to highest requirements.
- Manage field labelling by external body for compliance, install and commissioning plan to meet agreed go-live dates.
- Adjust/fine-tune MHE equipment for optimum running.
- Manage snagging and defect fault fixes and plan roll-out across site, where required.
- Manage quality sign-off by recording all stages of sign-off on standard forms.
- Manage the peripheral, charger and MA electrical trade contractor technical installations through risk assessments, day to day look ahead and morning minuted meetings.
- Responsible for informing the team of peripheral install rates, risks and opportunities in advance of construction operations.
- Ensure prescribed testing and commissioning is undertaken and that all drawings / test certificates / as-builts are retained.
- Responsible for a safe project environment, guiding the project team to a safe standard of project delivery.
- Keep wholly up to date with MHE trade contractor progress and metrics.
- Contribute to weekly and monthly progress reports as required to support Project reporting.
- Contribute to lessons learnt, process improvement and knowledge sharing.
- Will manage all install tests with the trade contractor for each peripheral machine.
- Record Ocado/Contractor delay in connection with the works and contribute to the commercial and contracts management on the site.
- Solve Ocado’s design-based and methodology-based problems on site in a commercial and project benefitting manner.
- Manage RFI processes, design queries and drive solutions.
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/Controls Engineering or related field; four years of additional experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 3 years' relevant experience.
- Siemens PLC and control equipment experience including ProfiBus, ProfiNet.
- Safety PLC experience.
- Solid understanding of OSHA standards and processes, especially LOTO, Electrical Safety, Machine Safety.
- Will have commissioning experience on similar MHE systems- running HMI system tests and tracing back issues to root cause whether electrical or mechanical or PLC.
Preferred (in addition to minimum)
- SCADA experience.
- Ability to navigate common drawing packages (eg Autocad/E-plan).
- Ability to follow a Quality Plan.
Location: Vaughn, ON
Learn about our partnership with Sobeys:
- Ocado seals new international tie-up with Sobeys in Canada
- A sneak peek at the future of grocery automation in Canada
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado Solutions values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.