What does the team do
We are Product Discovery and we build the online shopping experience for our retailer’s customers. Working with retail partners around the world, our engineering teams strive to create the next-generation shopping platform that will change the way the world shops.
An exciting and rare opportunity to be involved in building the Assortment UK team from day one, and working on an interesting set of services. These include products services, which involves storing product information for our clients across stores, regions and banners and is offering a unique scaling challenge. Our services also provide the integration layer between our eCommerce services and the supply chain systems that allow us to determine product availability for our customers. Our mission is to inspire our end customers whilst providing a sustainable and scalable solution for our platform, which supports the sale of groceries by retailers around the globe.
What would I be doing / Learning
You will be part of a team of 5 developers, a Team Lead and a Product Manager. You will contribute to the delivery of features from conception to production, working on providing value both to the end customers and our retailer clients. As you grow in your role, you will:
- Drive technical excellence within our teams
- Participate in the design and development of externalised APIs, working closely with the Product Manager, tech writer and release manager
- Be an example for other developers to aspire to
- You will be a practitioner of clean code
- You will look to find opportunities for personal growth and process improvement
- You will understand the value of continuous integration, continuous delivery and strive for a high level of automation
- Participating in out of hours support rota where agreed
What we are looking for
- Experience working with Java (preferably 11 but experience with Java 8 onwards is fine)
- Spring Boot
- Experience with AWS Integrations, such as with S3, SQS / SNS, and RDS
- RESTful services & API development / Design best practice
- A good understanding of CI/CD best practices
- Experience monitoring and supporting a live production system
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- Experience with AWS Gateway to expose APIs to clients
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Netflix Hollow for data snapshots
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.