Ocado is a UK based international company that provides innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world with nine partnerships across North America, Europe, Asia and Australasia. To match consumer demand in the UK and to enable our business to provide solutions to our partners across the globe, we are scaling quickly. Over 2021 we will be live with OSP across seven of our international partners.
We have partnered with Coles in Australia, to help redefine the grocery customer experience through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
In 2022 Coles will be opening their first Customer Fulfillment Operation based at the Melbourne (Truganina) site in Victoria.. In support of this, Ocado will employ a cross section of Engineers and Technical specialists such as Engineering Operations, Technology Operations and the management and administrative teams circa 150 employees.
As the People Partner in Australia, you will be developing the local talent acquisition infrastructure required to partner with our Ocado operation teams who are located on our Partner sites, Coles You will be supported by and work closely with the Central People team and Centres of Expertise on key People projects who are based in the UK.
This is a fantastic opportunity where you will be accountable for delivering a hands on, operational end to end service to management on the full employee lifecycle: from hiring to employee relations, performance management, compensation and benefits, through to developing tools and upskilling managers through training materials and workshops.
Providing a complete HR generalist service to the Australian operations team, you will drive best practices, ensuring that process and documentation are being deployed in the best way possible whilst observing our obligations contained within the Australian Law, and our global Ocado policies.
Reporting into the Head of Regional People in the UK and working together with your peers who have international responsibilities, you will be collaborative in your approach with others across our growing business, building strong partnerships across different client areas at all levels.
Something to think about: Melbourne
Travel required to Sydney and possibly other locations as business expands in Australia
We are open to applications from people who are looking for part time work, 3 days a week.
What will you be doing?
- Provide pragmatic and professional expertise and advice on HR topics such as performance and conduct, family policies, diversity awareness
- Provide HR support to Management in absence, disciplinary, grievance and appeal meetings; provide performance management expertise and assistance to ensure a high quality workforce who enhance brand reputation
- Interpret and advise on relevant current employment legislation
- Work with the recruitment team to ensure all recruitment needs for the client group are briefed and managed effectively
- Develop practical people strategies with Line Managers which address business objectives - eg recruitment, retention, performance, development
- Work closely with key customers in a partnership capacity; coach and assist Line Managers to understand and effectively implement HR policies, procedures and best practices
- Work with the Learning and Development team to deliver and support learning and development activities relevant to the client base
- Work with the Group People Operations team to ensure the effective delivery of transactional HR activities for the client base ensuring that a high quality service is provided and SLA targets are met
- Attend and contribute to team meetings both with key customers and within HR; lead and participate in project and working groups on initiatives across both HR and the client base
- Utilise employee data and trend analysis to educate and work in partnership with Line Managers on people issues, eg absence management, attrition rates, focussing on retention.
- In conjunction with the Health and Safety stream and Line Management, ensure that there are safe working systems, procedures and policies in place at all in-country locations.
- Deliver, lead and proactively review training requirements for people managers, including workshops.
- Utilise Workday and/ or other systems to maintain employee data.
- Previous experience in a generalist HR role.
- Strong working knowledge of Australian employment law, at a federal and state level
- Proven experience in a generalist HR role in an expanding business, with HQ outside Australia
- Experience of developing and executing an appropriate set of Workplace Rules, which enable and support the business to achieve its business objectives (including our ability to hire, motivate, reward and retain talent)
- Experience of working autonomously in a remote working environment and in a matrix structure, within a multinational organisation
- Maturity and dexterity to navigate and cut through complexities quickly and sensibly
- A strong cultural awareness and an understanding of working with international teams
- Experience from Retail, Tech, Manufacturing, Engineering preferred but not essential
- Experience in working for a business that is scaling and growing at pace, working though new and updated policies and procedures
- Recruitment experience, agency management and coaching managers on interviewing
- Self starter; Confident decision maker with the ability to work independently but collaboratively with local and global stakeholders
- Effective relationship management skills; good listening skills and effective influencing skills
- Flexible approach to working hours to support a 24/7 business operation
Ocado Group is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
About Ocado Group
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own ground breaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry also means transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams and developing new ways of working.