Ocado Group is a technology-led, global, software and robotics platform business, with a strong retail heritage. Ocado has been at the forefront of innovation in the online grocery industry since it was founded in 2000. Its retail business, Ocado.com, is one of the world’s largest online-only supermarkets with over £1.6bn annual revenue and over 795,000 active customers. Customers can shop from a huge range of products on award-winning web and mobile apps, and then enjoy convenient delivery options with world-leading order accuracy and reliability. Unlike traditional supermarkets with their large chain superstores, Ocado’s unique business model relies upon an ecosystem of solutions to serve both a wide range of customer missions and geographies. The centralised ‘hub and spoke’ network of production and distribution, is the core of our solution, with orders prepared in huge, highly automated Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFC).
Ocado Solutions is responsible for our corporate international partnerships, offering the proprietary Ocado Smart Platform (OSP) as a service to retailers around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado’s physical automation, allowing highly efficient preparation of orders, together with the full end-to-end software applications required to operate a world class online grocery business, bringing the best possible operational economics, consumer experience and service to our partners. Since 2017 we have signed agreements to provide our unique e-commerce solution to a number of the world’s largest grocers, including Groupe Casino (France), Sobeys (Canada), ICA (Sweden), Kroger (USA), Coles (Australia), AEON (Japan), Alcampo (Spain) joining our UK partner Morrisons and the Ocado/M&S joint venture. 50+ Customer Fulfilment centres (CFCs) are already committed across our various partners. We continue to invest significantly in our technology and people in order to deliver for current clients and to forge exciting new partnerships.
About the Role
We are looking for highly capable candidates for the role of Partnership Manager who will facilitate effective ongoing business development opportunities with our partner AEON as well as contributing to the existing partnership.
In this role they work closely with the partner to enhance and develop the relationship, and ensure that the partnership is a commercial success for both parties.
The Partnership Manager will work alongside an existing Partnership Manager and be responsible for expanding the OSP product within our partners business, by developing new mutually beneficial agreements with the partner, as well as contributing to the management of our existing partnership.
With our existing agreement, and with newly formed agreements, the Partnership Manager will be responsible for:
- Day to day relationship management and orchestrating the ways-of-working
- Understanding the partner’s business and discovery through conversations with the partner about what they are struggling with, and what Ocado can help to address
- Communication with the partner in a way that they can understand the benefits of OSP and areas of their business where they can get increased benefit from expanding their use of OSP
- Responsibility for the P&L, inc. profitability of new and established agreements (monitoring, understanding and challenging cost)
- Liaising and coordinating with OSP teams and ensuring the partner is effectively represented
- Being the primary contact point for the partner for any ‘unowned’ challenges and escalation point should the partner be unhappy with any element of the relationship
- Strategic governance of KPIs: SLA’s and programme performance
On the Partner facing side they will be the “face” of Ocado responsible for communicating on all aspects of the relationship and where agreed coordinating the interactions with other parts of Ocado (e.g. Product Solutions, Ocean Technology, Client Services)
Internally they should play the role of “partner advocate”, ensuring that the needs of the partner are appropriately met, and all relevant areas are aware of trade-offs in not meeting them. They should escalate where they feel the relationship is being compromised by how Ocado is performing in the partnership.
The Partnership Manager will have overall responsibility for the commercial success of our partnerships. This will entail some direct responsibilities but will primarily entail ensuring that the right resources across Ocado are brought to bear to ensure our partners’ success (whether these resources are in Product Solutions, Development, Implementation, Client Services or Support Functions)
The Partnership Manager will have responsibility for the continued commercial development of the relationship with the Partner, and any other commercial renegotiations required (e.g. for new CFCs, or for penalties incurred from unforeseen challenges)
While there will be a Head of Partnerships in place for support and as an ultimate escalation point, the Partnership Manager will take responsibility for the day to day decision making to ensure a successful relationship and is expected to operate with a reasonably high level of autonomy in achieving this.
In addition they will be responsible for handling day-to-day enquiries and arrangements (e.g. visits, buddy routes) etc and empowered to manage and make their own decisions.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Business Analysis experience ( business cases, financial modelling, commercial awareness)
- Degree qualified, in a numerate / analytical discipline or demonstrable experience
- Excellent stakeholder, relationship building and networking skills
- Proven experience in a sales or pre-sales environment in Japan
- Experience in facilitating multiple work streams simultaneously
- Excellent team player, able to bring different skills and personalities together in a cohesive and productive way
- Strong project management and multi-tasking skills
- Strong presentation skills - both preparation and delivery
- Proven experience in problem solving and issue resolution
- Native level Japanese language speaker
- Fluent English language speaker
- Experience gained from a fast-paced eCommerce business environment
- Experience working in management consultancy environment, specifically strategy consulting.
Nice to have
- Korean language experience
Our values: we’re in it together, we are proud of what we do, we can be even better……
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.