“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
About Ocado Technology
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
Find out more about how we are pioneering the future through serial technology innovation here.
What does our team do?
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfillment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Bot Hardware Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Bots. Our Reliability and Verification team is looking for an accomplished Reliability Engineer, who will be responsible for verifying the reliability of automation equipment systems design including sub-systems and components. You may be involved at any stage from writing and verifying reliability requirements, through concept generation, detail design, manufacturer support to design updates and enhancements.
If you like challenges and you want to work in a fast paced, exciting company on innovative solutions to the problems that have never been solved, then imagine yourself in this role.
What would you be doing?
- Define test strategies for new product development including key metrics to measure, test and analyse.
- Support new test programmes by advising on sample sizes, statistical confidence levels and other reliability targets that need to be achieved.
- Develop predictive reliability models for new and existing products.
- Support development of future reliability rigs.
- Quantify the impact on reliability of any design changes or cost down projects.
- Use accelerated life testing & stress screening techniques to realise potential weaknesses in design of new products. Work with other teams to mitigate them.
- Identify opportunities to improve or create new KPIs (Key performance Indicators) for existing and new products
- Extract useful statistics from existing product(s) in order to drive improvements for the next generation of design.
- Lead and collaborate on root cause investigations in product reliability issues.
- Facilitate and lead Risk analysis and FMEA Workshops.
What we are looking for
- A qualification in a relevant discipline such as Computer Science, Engineering, Physics or Mathematics
- Excellent numerical, modelling and structured problem-solving skills
- Understanding and application of ‘Design for Reliability’ principles in new product development
- Experience of collating, analysing and interpreting large data sets
- Ability to produce and present technical findings across all business levels
- Passion for identifying and presenting underlying ‘causes’ behind data trends
- Attention to detail, self starter with a “Can-do” attitude
- Collaborative and growth mindset
- Shares knowledge and loves to coach / develop others in best practices
- Ability to travel to Ocado’s other sites within the UK
These would make you stand out from the crowd
- A statistics based post-graduate qualification
- Knowledge of using accelerated life testing, reliability growth curves in electro-mechanical product development.
- Experience of using Minitab and/or Six Sigma toolkits
- Proficiency in reliability software packages such as BlockSIM, Weibull++
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Hybrid Working patterns (varies depending on your role/team)
- 30 days Work from Anywhere policy
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Our Talent Community is a great way to stay up-to-date with our latest career opportunities, as well as news and relevant careers insights. Register today, and be the first to be notified when a role we think you’d be perfect for becomes available.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.