“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
What does the team do
We are Product Discovery and we build the online shopping experience for our retailer’s customers. Working with retail partners around the world, our engineering teams strive to create the next-generation shopping platform that will change the way the world shops. We obsess about performance, developer experience and automation. To do this we use cutting edge technology, and when that's not enough, we push the boundaries of what's possible.
What would I be doing?
As an Android Developer you will participate in the development of our customer-facing, native Android Shopping app, to be used by millions of people all over the world. Each team is cross-functional; comprising Android, iOS and backend-focused engineers, working together to deliver features to a high standard.
Mobile teams work closely with Web teams, Product Managers and UX to ensure feature parity and a consistently high-quality experience across all platforms. Teams leverage industry best-practices like continuous delivery and extensive automated testing, and are given the autonomy to try out new technologies and techniques that support our business and long-term goals.
What we are looking for
- You have strong programming and object-oriented design skills gained in Java or Kotlin through Android development.
- You have knowledge of the Android environment by developing high-quality apps.
- You are keen to automate repetitive tasks and are familiar with Continuous Integration tools.
- You take pride in writing polished and fully-tested code and have experience of Unit and UI testing.
It would be a bonus if you have experience with any of the below, but do not feel hesitant to apply if you don’t.
- Previous experience building production apps with Kotlin
About Ocado Technology
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
Find out more about how we are pioneering the future through serial technology innovation here.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.