“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
About the Grid team...
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfillment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Grid Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Grid and its storage and safety functionality. Our Project Delivery team is looking for an accomplished Project Manager, who will be responsible for the delivery of projects within the grid stream and must meet the cost, timeline and quality requirements set by the business.
Imagine the challenges of developing an ultra high throughput automated system that is the size of 4 football pitches. Imagine the challenges of tolerance, scale, static and dynamic loads, manufacturing and rapid deployment for systems of this scale. Think of the challenges of developing a system with all of these requirements that must be “fit and forget” over a 20 year period of 24/7 use. Imagine our latest challenge to achieve all of this within a system that must remain safe and operational after an earthquake. Work with us on products that are in high demand for deployment across multiple large scale clients sites globally. Consider the opportunities that making millions of components gives you to work on industry leading mass manufacturing methods.
How you’ll spend your time...
Planning, Tracking and Delivery
- Driving large scale and/or multiple project teams to achieve milestones and delivery of project goals.
- Project managing the planning, execution, control and closing of work to achieve specific goals and meet specific success criteria at the specified time by generating a stage gated development project plan in accordance with the departmental methodology.
- Collaborating with both internal and external stakeholders and product teams to define requirements and scope and keep project plans on track.
- Balancing scope, time and budget, keeping in mind commercial constraints, including control of variation and concession processes
- Selection and management of new suppliers and partners capable of supporting the delivery of innovative systems and technology from requirements through contract, build, acceptance and testing, including confident negotiation skills
- Transfer to manufacture – Ensure a smooth transfer to manufacture with the chosen vendor in conjunction with the development and implementation team(s).
- Project closure - ensuring that product and associated documentation meet the criteria for entry into the product catalogue and for handover to internal customers. Ensuring the appropriate quality of documentation and communication to enable successful global manufacture and install of relevant products.
Risk and Issue Management
- Confidently quantify and qualify project risk against business impact and take appropriate decisions.
- Recognise where risk and issues may impact other projects and programmes, both in-stream and cross stream, and communicate this appropriately.
- Ownership and management of appropriate registers, identifying and controlling both problems and opportunities by applying appropriate mitigations and monitoring and planning accordingly.
- Identifies and seeks to resolve fundamental gaps, as well as opportunities to align over multiple challenges.
- Be a key contributor to the development and continuous improvement of project governance processes.
- Bringing your past learnings into current processes, allowing future projects to be delivered in line with established learnings.
- Building effective partnerships and fosters unity with positivity and respect.
- Providing motivational and inspiring coaching for others in the Project Management Craft across the organisation.
- Positive contribution to creating a collaborative team environment within Retrieval Robotics.
We’d love to talk to you if you have...
- Relevant technical background and experience relating to automation hardware.
- Proven track record in successful project management of technically complex, fast paced, innovative product development from blank sheet of paper.
- Previous successful project management of new product introduction and transfer to volume production.
- Significant experience managing project budgets as well as an appreciation of other related metrics such as cost of ownership of products.
- Experience of derisking, verification and validation of complex products.
- Confident in negotiation skills with the ability to listen, comprehend, consider and assimilate others points of view with their own beliefs and visions.
- Strong collaboration skills , able to build, inspire and drive project teams to successful outcomes through strong collaboration and teamwork.
- Experience in vendor selection and long term engagement for the delivery of services and products.
- Comfortable giving effective presentations to senior stakeholders with different agendas and providing compelling evidence to guide stakeholders to the correct decision or consensus.
- Strong problem solving skills, able to demonstrate the ability to “ think out of the box” and apply creativity in solving project related problems to mutually agreeable solutions.
Bonus points if you also have…
- An Engineering qualification, to HND or Degree level
- A Project Management qualification, preferably Prince2 or PMI/APM accredited
What we offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.