“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
What does the team do
The Ocado Smart Platform network team is looking for Network Engineers to help design, deliver and support world class, robust, automated network implementations for our international warehouses. Our focus is on repeatable, robust, hands-free network implementations, with full monitoring, alerting and automated configuration management features.
Our networks are based primarily on Juniper Networks hardware. MPLS drives the core of the network, leveraging the Juniper MX platform. In the Data Centres, you will find a mixture of L3VPNs using BGP attached servers and EVPN-enabled VXLAN overlays. We work closely with engineers working on network automation and WiFi implementation projects too.
Your proven skills will help you tackle a wide variety of problems, from creating, testing and validating working designs, to deploying at scale and maintaining their operational state. You will be a true team player with a “can do” attitude, and exhibit a superior customer-centric mindset.
What would I be doing:
- Working as part of a team, or independently, to create network designs that fit both customer requirements and non-functional requirements (e.g. security, performance, observability)
- Implementing those network designs in collaboration with third party on-site network implementation engineers
- Continually seeking, promoting and realising opportunities to optimise the network service, for example by reducing the mean time to repair for network failures.
- Taking a leading role in road mapping and developing future network evolutions
- Testing new project designs and technologies with a robust analytical approach
- Providing operational support including 24/7 on-call rota for escalated issues
- Assisting with scripting, tooling and automation for network deployment, configuration and monitoring - (ideally) scripting and automation using Python or other languages
- Identifying opportunities to utilise white box networking products and open source solutions
What we are looking for...
- Experience at least at Specialist level (JNCIS, or better JNCIP) in Juniper networking
- A methodical and logical approach to problem-solving with excellent written and verbal communication skills within a team and with stakeholders
- Extensive experience working with some of the following platforms: Juniper MX, SRX, QFX, EX,
- Excellent understanding of networking fundamentals such as the OSI Model and TCP/IP stack
- We are currently deploying data plane and control plane protocols such as OSPF, BGP, MPLS, VXLAN, EVPN, so knowledge of these will be advantageous
- Working knowledge of the network services required by a network to function and be manageable, such as DHCP, DNS, NTP, RADIUS and SNMP
- Good knowledge of scripting and automation using Python
- Ability to balance different workloads, prioritising work as necessary to get it delivered
- (ideally) experience with automation frameworks like Ansible, Salt etc.
- (ideally) experience deploying SDN technologies in production
- (ideally but not essential) knowledge of WiFi networking
- (ideally but not essential) working knowledge of Agile methodologies - Kanban, Scrum for example.
About Ocado Technology
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
Find out more about how we are pioneering the future through serial technology innovation here.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.