“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
What does the team do?
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfillment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Grid Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Grid and its storage and safety functionality.
Imagine the challenges of developing an ultra high throughput automated system that is the size of 4 football pitches. Imagine the challenges of tolerance, scale, static and dynamic loads, manufacturing and rapid deployment for systems of this scale. Think of the challenges of developing a system with all of these requirements that must be “fit and forget” over a 20 year period of 24/7 use. Consider our latest challenge to achieve all of this within a system that must remain safe and operational after an earthquake. This is a very exciting product.
What are we looking for?
Our Technical Authorities team are now looking for a confident and capable Engineering Manager to support our Head of Engineering in driving these missions. Someone who has experience growing capability and delivering change in a business.
As our Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for transitioning our Technical Lead role from a consultant role to an accountable technical authority role within the Grid domain. You will be confident in dealing with a variety of different stakeholders across many different disciplines.
With a proven background in systems engineering or a similar environment, you will have the capability to drive technical excellence across our existing team and future proof our roadmap for Grid products. You will have a good understanding of complex systems development, and be able to envisage a path for our Technical Authorities to transition our products on the journey to higher automation and digital content .
Success will be seeing our team provide technical ownership for the Grid Stream product portfolio, providing the focus of product knowledge and the expertise for rapid solution development.
Are you right for this role?
Preferably you will be from a product development or similar background where you can bring your current technical knowledge and experience to this role. We are looking for a decisive leader who can really shape our existing function and ensure future success through growth.
Ideally you will have;
- Management experience including:
- Well versed in setting strategic direction
- Able to coach, mentor and grow team members with track record of setting best practice and creating a culture of continuous improvement
- Ability to resolve conflicts and foster collaboration with stakeholders and your team
- Ability to identify growth opportunities and drive successful recruitment and retention for your teams
- Technical skills and experience as follows:
- Subject matter expertise in systems engineering, fatigue analysis or similar (relevant to Grid products)
- Track record of identifying technical gaps and growing or introducing new technical capabilities into a team or business
- Experience building strong relationships with external subject matter experts and successfully using them to solve complex problems in a business
- Evidence of the ability to work in a fast past changing engineering environment
- Personally you will have:
- A forward thinking attitude to improving technical quality and delivery in a timely fashion
- A passion for leading people, always valuing their input and able to explain why and where the department is going
- Able to drive decisions and negotiate successful outcomes
- Experience creating agile team structures fostering strong collaboration
What we can offer you…
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.