What does the team do
The Platform Web Team is a newly created team in the Ecommerce Platform Department, armed with a mission to provide a world-class platform that enables feature teams in other Ecommerce departments to deliver value faster and with increased autonomy.
The team has a broad remit to focus on the most important areas for OSP’s customer-facing websites, with the aim of providing a solid, consistent, secure, performant foundation for vertical teams. This includes maintaining shared code (including the design system), implementing features that cut across all verticals, leading architectural efforts such as modularisation, and working with the rest of the chapter to establish additional goals and a close working relationship.
What would I be doing
As Engineering Team Lead, you will be responsible for leading a small team of software engineers (4) to deliver on this mission, working closely with other Platform front-end teams and teams across the Ecommerce Stream building on top of the platform we provide. This is an exciting opportunity to have a big impact on Stream productivity!
The main purpose of this role is to lead a team of software engineers, delivering business critical functionality whilst maintaining high morale, managing the day to day activities in an efficient and professional manner and ensuring all team targets are met. You can do this by:
- Collaboratively developing and implementing engineering standards & processes to aid in the development of high quality software.
- Collaborating and facilitating discussions with the wider Stream to understand how we can support them most effectively and enable them to deliver value faster.
- Being accountable for defining and driving best practices for our customer-facing Web platforms throughout the Stream through extensive consultation with the web chapter.
- Ensuring that our software architecture is fit for purpose, through data-driven decision making, feedback, and collaboration with the chapter.
- Proactively report and communicate to the wider organisation on team progress, successes and challenges.
- Mentor members of your team around their strengths and weaknesses to increase their individual effectiveness in the team.
- Build and promote a positive culture and working environment within the team and the organisation.
- Effectively manage team members in line with company policy and procedures, including performance, development, disciplinary and conflict resolution.
- Participating in out of hours support rota where agreed.
We would like you to demonstrate the following:
- Leading engineering teams.
- Experience monitoring and supporting a live production system
- A solid understanding of fundamental web technologies
- Demonstrable experience facilitating effective discussions and decision making with a broad audience.
- A strong understanding of how to enable high-performing development teams across the Stream.
- A proven track record of developing high-quality software to business specification whilst understanding processes and requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience of shaping an effective software delivery process within a team.
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.