Ocado Group’s mission is to transform online grocery through cutting-edge technology and automation. Our pioneering Ocado Smart Platform (OSP), which combines our proprietary end-to-end software systems with our physical fulfilment assets, offers grocery retailers a faster, more flexible, cost-efficient and low-risk way to develop an online grocery business.
Within Ocado Group sits Platform Implementation, whose mission is ‘to orchestrate the implementation of Ocado’s platforms globally’. This department focuses on the full programme management life cycle of the implementation of our highly automated, multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) - from pre-deal, through to the design, construction, installation, testing and ‘go-live’ phases (with all the process and portfolio management in between). This department is instrumental in ensuring we deliver these CFCs on time, to budget, and to the specific requirements of each client.
Within Platform Implementation sits the Product Application Engineering team who are responsible for the application, configuration and ongoing life support of our solutions used to power our automated CFCs. They are the engineering experts providing centralised specialist knowledge to multiple teams within Ocado.
The Product Configuration & Support Engineer provides technical and business analysis and support within the Product Application Engineering team. The Engineer supports platform implementation and global scaling goals by developing, managing and controlling processes to ensure the successful roll out of new products, changes to existing products, site configuration and support tools and other product-related aspects required by the business function. They also establish metrics, identify areas for improvement and provide ongoing monitoring and reporting ensuring deadlines are met and updates communicated effectively. Closely working with both the on-site and product development teams, the Engineer supports the business in aligning with its strategic goals and allows it to scale.
What will you be doing?...
- Define, implement and/or consolidate tools for defining and tracking product configuration at a site level. Manage and maintain to ensure information is kept current and new sites are added when information becomes available
- Maintain processes to create, review and communicate project related technical documentation (including but not limited to BoMs, Drawing Transmittals, SOPs, CRs)
- Develop methods of tracking KPIs and reporting for the Grid Product in terms of product development status update, on-site impact, roll out of new products and design changes. Produce and circulate reports as required on an ongoing basis
- Work alongside Engineering Change Control to keep track of changes/variations to ensure decisions are made with the appropriate stakeholder approval and awareness
- Provide technical support to product development and site teams related to the product and have an in-depth understanding of the product
- Provide support and updates to colleagues within the Grid Product Engineering team as required to address focus areas, including technical queries, concessions, engineering change and product development
- Excellent technical and practical competence relating to automation and general engineering
- Business and/or process analysis - demonstrable experience & success
- IT literate, advanced Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite skills, specifically Excel - must be able to understand and develop advanced formulas within existing tools
- Experience within product development/R&D
- Aptitude to debate detail (both technical and commercial) with both internal and external parties
- Commercially aware and consider cost impacts on decisions and proposals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Technical / Engineering qualification, to at least HND level in a relevant field
Preferred (in addition to minimum):
- Working knowledge of a range of project management skills, tools and approaches
- Experience with Agile project management approach and tools e.g. Jira
- Use of software and data analysis tools (coding/scripting, databases, statistical analysis)
- International working experience
- Engineering degree in relevant field
- Appreciation of applicable directives, codes standards etc (eg machinery directive)
- The ability to use CAD packages such as Solidworks, AutoCAD etc
- Experience in understanding and developing new business processes
About Ocado Group...
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own ground breaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry means also transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams and developing new ways of working.
Only a 20 minute commute from London King’s Cross and with a free shuttle bus provided from Hatfield Station to the office
Ocado employee experience is very important to us. As well as keeping a smile on your face with weekly massages, a games room, coffee shop, weekly food samples and amazing food hall to satisfy your daily breakfast and lunch taste buds. All Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 25 days holiday + the option to buy an additional 3 via salary sacrifice, 15% discount on your weekly Ocado shop, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships and much much more….
Ocado Group is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Our values: we’re in it together, we are proud of what we do, we can be even better……