Engineering Team Manager
At Ocado Solutions and Client Services we are responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
About the role:
We are currently recruiting for an Engineering Team Manager to join our team at Ocado’s state-of-the-art, automated Mini Customer Fulfilment Centre in Bicester, which is around 164,000 square feet and boasts world leading technology, that is predominantly developed in house at Ocado. At full capacity we will be fulfilling over 30,000 customer orders a week from Bicester, which requires a 24/7 operation and a dedicated team of Engineers and Technicians.
As our Engineering Team Manager, your day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Day to day supervision of shift engineers, technicians and maintenance shift members including prioritisation and allocation of workload
- Managing a team of Approx: 6 direct reports
- Working closely with inbound, outbound and other support teams on a daily basis to ensure direction of labour and planned engineering activities fully support operation.
- Be proactive in the development of team members through advising, leading and motivating team members, assessing capability and identifying and resolving training and skill requirements
- To be involved in disciplinary issues for team members
- Assessment of engineering team skills and assisting in up-skilling and training of staff, providing a positive coaching and mentoring environment.
- Training of staff in the integration of first line maintenance of plant and equipment
- Management and development of department processes; including shift handovers, briefs and defect reporting/resolving
- Reporting and monitoring of data capture for automation and maintenance activities
- Ability to lead from the front driving pace accuracy and standards. As part of this you must also be competent and experienced as an Engineer, either mechanically or electrically and must be familiar and competent with both streams of engineering to enable decision-making
- Work to and follow all CDM guidance, both external (CDM Regulations 2015 and associated Guidance L153) and internal (the Ocado CDM15 procedures and processes, HS&E policy and associated Arrangement Policies). To seek guidance from the HS&E team where there is uncertainty
What We Would Like To See:
- Good technical ability relating to automation hardware and software, this may include, but is not limited to:
HNC Engineering, equivalent relevant Degree coupled with relevant applied learning, Engineering Technician Apprenticeship, Electrical and/or mechanical skills preferably gained in an FMCG background to at least NVQ3
- Experience at a management or supervisory level within an automated environment
- Good organisational skills and the ability to plan and prioritise
- Sound analytical skills with an eye for detail; good problem solving ability and a practical approach
- Comprehensive understanding of production, picking and storage MHE systems, gained from experience in an automated environment
- Experience of a FMCG environment.
- Experience of working with Computerised maintenance management systems
- Numerate and PC literate including Word, Excel etc.
Shifts: Our Engineering Team work a Panama Shift pattern. This is a slow rotating shift system that uses 12-hr shifts to provide 24/7 coverage. Typically this can mean working pro rata just 6 months of a year! However as a full time position you must be flexible and required to work weekdays and weekends both days and nights within this shift pattern.
Please note your training may be carried out at different UK site locations.
What will I get in return?
- Competitive salary and benefits including Free Shares and Life Assurance
- 15% off your Ocado shopping
- Onsite subsidised café and company shop offering discounts of up to 70% on groceries from leading brands and major retailers
- Private Healthcare
- National discounts including Vodafone, Various Attractions, Cineworld, Enterprise Car Hire and many more
- Enhanced Pension scheme - matching up to 7% of your contributions
- Employee Assistance Programme
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.