“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
In the Bot System Engineering team our mission is to promote system thinking and drive innovation in Ocado’s disruptive environment. We’re trailblazing when it comes to robotics and automated logistics solutions and with our rapid company growth, now’s the time to join us and be part of the ‘Ocado Revolution’. We’re looking for a passionate Team Leader to join us, who will be responsible for providing leadership to our Systems Engineering team, whilst continuing to improve effectiveness and quality of control systems on bot products.
How you'll spend your days...
The Wireless Product Development team is focused on solving the communication challenges faced by our fleet of robots which retrieve and store groceries in our OSP warehouses. Central to our ways of working is driving these high standards forward whilst collaborating closely with other teams to support the ongoing innovation of Ocado’s logistics platform.
Our technology stack incorporates a custom OFDMA solution based on 4G technology, SIL3 rated safety systems and RFID. These products are implemented using Python, Bash and C and the in-house tools we develop to manage and monitor these are implemented in Java with a Postgres back end and hosted in an AWS environment.
We’re currently working towards automating the deployment of these systems and putting rigorous regression testing frameworks in place.
The team is already well established, with 9 team members who have a lot of passion, are technical and have a lot of product expertise. We are looking for an enthusiastic senior software developer with a track record working in wireless embedded systems.
We’d love to talk to you if you have...
- A relevant qualification in Wireless Communications, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or similar technical field.
- Excellent understanding of common programming and scripting languages, e.g. C, C++, Python and Bash.
- Fluent understanding of Linux operating systems.
- Understanding of communication systems and communication protocol stacks.
- Experience working with protocol stacks including TCP/IP and OSI models.
- Networking principles, such as DHCP, DNS, VLANs etc.
- Working knowledge of git and CI pipeline.
- Fluent with testing methodologies.
Bonus points if you also have
- Identified new approaches of problem solving and debugging skills to difficult problems.
- Able to share knowledge through formal and informal means.
- Huge plus for knowledge of Yocto / OpenEmbedded.
- Familiar and comfortable with containerised hosting technologies such as Docker or Kubernetes.
- Experience with modern cloud computing platforms (AWS, Azure etc.).
- Knowledge of Prometheus, Grafana and big data platforms(Google BigQuery, Tableau etc) is a plus.
- A working knowledge of the full product lifecycle of embedded electronic devices (blank page design, proof of concept demonstrators, productionisation, manufacturing and maintenance)
Please don't worry, this is not an exhaustive list! If you feel you'd be a good fit for the role there are some things we can teach you, so we would still love to hear from you.
What we offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield office
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.