“Ocado Technology, researching, designing, engineering the next generation of hardware & software solutions through disruptive innovation”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits our Grid development teams, which exist to deploy bold, stable, innovative products that we fully understand and meet our client and customer needs.
We are looking for a Technical Authority to work alongside our Project Leaders. The Project Leader is accountable for the delivery of the project and the Technical Authority is accountable for the engineering and so it falls to you to devise and execute the strategy for ensuring that new products are correctly and comprehensively engineered.
How you’ll spend your time...
- Providing direction and oversight of engineering projects, from planning and executing to vetting and selecting suppliers
- Supporting and growing engineering expertise and capability of the department by becoming an expert in your technical field, and propel new initiatives or ideas from your constant research
- Driving innovation and generate intellectual property in technology areas relevant to Ocado
- Balancing multiple technical projects in the product portfolio as business priorities shift
- Presenting to project teams, management and board level; real data culminating in technical decisions and recommendations to enable commercial decisions.
- Reviewing technical proposals and publications in order to make recommendations on how to proceed
- Collaborate with key stakeholders both technical and non-technical to ensure they have sufficient levels of knowledge in critical technical fields to enable then to be comfortable in making commercial decisions
- Support Product Managers with capital expenditure requests by providing them with technical information
- You will work on projects and products associated with the Grid and you will be the technical expert in a particular engineering discipline
- You will also be expected to provide guidance on all matters of a technical nature to the project team
- You will draw on the support of the team and your supplier base to supplement your technical knowledge gaps
- Projects vary in scale from small proof of concept studies and individual work packages to full end to end technical authority for a new product development
We’d love to hear from you if you have…
- A strong engineering background with a proven track record in complex problem solving and technology evaluation
- Aspirations to be a multi-skilled technical expert
- An effective communicator to technical, non-technical and senior management audiences
- Passionate about for investigating and solving problems
- Driven to get into the detail
- Able to identify key facts and select the right data from a variety of sources
- Rationalise challenging problem sets into project tasks
- Able to define and deliver work package content to stage gated programmes
- Able to define technical resource requirements to deliver work packages
- Willing to travel both in the UK and abroad to attend meetings and conferences
- A relevant engineering degree, physics or science degree - preferably MEng, MSc or PhD qualified
Bonus points if you also have;
- Experience in our domain, ie structural analysis, systems engineering mechanical/electrical design engineering
- Materials science
- Product verification
- Product certification, the identification and application of engineering standards.
- Safety certification and CE marking
- Technical project management
Don't worry, this is not an exhaustive list, if you feel you'd be good for the role we'd love to hear from you!
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years)
- Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.