“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
About our team...
Within our cutting edge Retrieval Robotics department sits the Bot Hardware Development teams, who are responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Bots.
Our Design team is looking for an accomplished Manufacturing Development Engineer, who will be responsible for the smooth transition of Ocado’s technology systems, developed by our Development team, into manufacture. You would be key in determining the process and procedures for transitioning products into full manufacture including work instructions, processes times, test procedures and test and assembly fixtures.
How you’ll spend your days...
- You will ensure that all products developed by Ocado are optimised for manufacture and assembly.
- Oversee the transitioning of our developed products from prototype to full manufacture.
- Collaborate closely with our external suppliers and manufacturing partners in order to optimise and document the manufacturing process.
- In doing so be able to identify and deliver test and assembly fixture requirements.
- Ensure process capability for components through to the system by identifying and tracking critical to quality parameters (CTQ).
- Run measurement system analysis (MSA) on test equipment.
- Actively participate in value engineering activities.
We want to talk to people with...
- Proven experience of transferring designs into manufacture in either a high volume industrial equipment or manufacturing industry.
- Knowledge of latest manufacturing processes and how best to apply them to ensure the highest manufacturing quality and cost optimisation.
- A background in value engineering with a passion for continuous improvement.
- Strong stakeholder management and negotiation skills, from the shop floor to Senior Managers.
- Experience of process capability, statistical process controls (SPC) and critical parameter management;
- Experience in the application of analytical tools to aid the manufacturing process PFMEA, FAST, Critical Parameters and 6 Sigma.
- Good investigative and problem-solving skills with excellent attention to detail.
- A relevant engineering / science qualification is an additional benefit.
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.