What does the team do
As part of our Advanced Technology division, our talented robotics engineering teams are working to automate physical processes that require sensing and judgement through the use of robotics and machine vision.
Currently, our focus is on robotic pick of groceries. Our solutions use sensors, robotic arms and grippers and applications of cutting-edge research in manipulation and control to pick customers’ orders. We are proud to say this is already live at our customer fulfilment centre based in Erith, but there is still much work to be done to streamline and harden the system for widespread deployment across all of our sites. We need gifted software engineers and researchers to help us optimise the throughput of the system, and to enhance the system’s functionality so we can take our robotics products to the next level. Other projects within Advanced Technology are varying from robotic dexterous grasping to autonomous vehicles.
We liaise with a number of leading universities performing robotics and related autonomous systems research and we were involved in European Union funded Horizon 2020 projects (SoMa - http://soma-project.eu - and SecondHands - https://secondhands.eu). We are looking forward to adopting and engineering cutting edge academic research into our next generation robotic systems as well as to perform novel applied research. We are open to adopt the latest technologies which were never used before in robotics, in order to develop robust and innovative robotic solutions.
Our division is growing, and so we need great robotics and software engineers of varied levels of experience in different fields to join us, forge a great team together, and drive the advancement of revolutionary robotics and automation.
What I be doing?
- Learning about our innovative robotic pick and pack systems and developing knowledge of how robotic manipulators and related software works.
- Leading the productionisation, engineering and the optimisation of our sensor-driven robotics systems for them to be top-class robotics software.
- Taking a lead in the choice and adoption of technologies new to robotics but suitable for our robotics solutions.
- Participating in the development of several aspects of a robotic system.
- Integrating and developing components for our robotic architecture to enhance its capabilities.
- Helping to maintain, develop and extend our robot code base.
- Mentoring and supporting junior engineers.
- Driving positive changes in both our software development practices and the team culture / process.
- Learning about the latest developments in robotics research.
What we are looking for
The successful candidate will be an experienced and excellent software engineer willing to learn to work in the field of robotics. He/she will be supporting the team in the productionisation and optimisation of the robotic code base and related elements. For the role it is beneficial but not required to be knowledgeable of robotics , but it is required to be willing to learn to work with robotic arms.
Ideally the candidate will have:
- Proven industrial experience as a software engineer;
- 2:1 or 1st class degree (or equivalent) in one of the following subjects:-
- Software Engineering,
- Computer Science,
- Extensive experience developing in python and C++;
- Experience in maintaining and setting CIs/CD;
- Experience integrating large systems;
- Experience working with distributed systems;
- Ability to refactor, restructure and maintain code safely;
- Proficient at writing and maintaining tests;
- Comfortable in using source control software (i.e. git);
- Knowledge of Docker;
- Comfortable developing in Linux (ideally Ubuntu);
- Experience working in an Agile environment;
- Keen interest in working on robots;
- Be a good team player, supporting other team members with his/her expertise.
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- Knowledge or experience in developing/designing software following a microservice architecture,
- Experience working with robots or robotic arms,
- Experience in DevOps,
- Experience using cloud tools.
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.