Ocado provides innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world with nine partnerships across North America, Europe, Asia and Australasia. To match consumer demand in the UK and to enable our business to provide solutions to our partners across the globe, we are scaling quickly. Over 2021 we’ll be live with OSP across seven of our international partners.
As we transform into an international technology solutions partner, we are also evolving and expanding our legal function and have an exciting opportunity for a Commercial Lawyer to join Ocado Group and provide the business with commercial and pragmatic advice as the business transforms and expands internationally.
As a Commercial Counsel, you will be accountable for providing support to the business on all aspects of domestic and international general commercial work, offering counsel on legal issues and facilitating the development of business strategies, whilst overseeing and maintaining legal compliance and limiting risk and potential exposure.
In addition, you will be expected to provide support on a broad range of other legal matters including M&A and other strategic transactions as well as intra group arrangements.
The Commercial Counsel will be a key member of the Commercial Legal Team and integral to the overall Legal, Governance and IP Team.
If you are looking for an in-house role that gives you autonomy in a successful team and growing organisation, where your advice and guidance is highly valued and will contribute directly to the success of an ambitious business, please read on and apply!
What will you be doing?
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide range of domestic and cross border general commercial work in respect of technology and software including:
- technology and hardware procurement arrangements including supply and/or manufacture agreements
- technology design appointments
- IT procurement including cloud services, SaaS and IT licences
- IP matters including collaboration agreements, licensing and cross-licensing
- logistics and distribution agreements
- Ensuring compliance with corporate governance (including competition/antitrust policies) as part of any transaction;
- Identifying and advising on IP, competition and data protection issues in the context of commercial contracts;
- Supporting on M&A and strategic transactions, for example in respect of due diligence or commercial arrangements such as transitional services agreements;
- Involvement in transactions with, and advising in respect of, prospective and existing clients of the Ocado Solutions Platform;
- Liaising and managing external counsel effectively from a delivery, risk and cost perspective on a daily basis.
- Developing and providing training and legal updates to the business on various areas of the law and regulatory matters
- Developing Ocado standard contract templates.
About you ?
- Qualified Solicitor/Barrister with approximately three to five years PQE as a general commercial or technology lawyer (but this does not preclude applications from those with more or less PQE)
- Ideally will have trained with a leading law firm or well-respected in-house team with a particular focus on commercial transactions.
- Experience in supporting M&A transactions and integration aspects of both new and existing investments and acquisitions is highly desirable.
- Excellent level of domestic and cross border transactional experience drafting, negotiating, and advising on a wide variety of commercial contracts in respect of technology investments, engineering and IT procurement, design, manufacture, supply and licensing including master service agreements, collaboration agreements, general terms and conditions, SaaS subscription agreements, logistics & distribution agreements and e-commerce agreements
- Demonstrable experience of being able to identify risk with sound commercial awareness.
- Can work to deadlines and to manage competing demands from various stakeholders.
- Internationally minded, ideally with previous experience of working in a global matrix company.
- Experience of work communicating with people at all levels from hands-on operational workforces to board level.
Ocado Group is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
About Ocado Group
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own groundbreaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate, and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry also means transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams, and developing new ways of working.
Ocado employee experience is very important to us, in Trident Place we offer weekly exercise classes,we have a games room, a coffee shop and an amazing food hall to satisfy you at any time of day with breakfast, lunch and dinner.
All Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 25 days holiday, 15% discount on your weekly Ocado shop, paternity and maternity leave, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships and family friendly offers.