Ocado provides innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world with nine partnerships across North America, Europe, Asia and Australasia. To match consumer demand in the UK and to enable our business to provide solutions to our partners across the globe, we are scaling quickly. Over 2021 we will be live with OSP across seven of our international partners.
As we transform into an international technology solutions partner, we are also evolving and expanding our legal function and have an exciting opportunity for a lawyer to provide the business with construction and engineering legal advice as the business transforms and expands internationally.
As a Construction and Engineering Legal Counsel within our team you will be accountable for providing legal advice, across our matrix organisation meeting expectations at pace on all aspects of Construction and Engineering.
Reporting into the Construction & Engineering Senior Legal Counsel, you will work together with your peers who have international responsibilities. You will be collaborative in your approach with others across our growing business, building strong partnerships across different client areas at all levels in particular with the Construction & Installation Team.
You will be an integral part of the Construction, Engineering & Real Estate Legal Team and a key member of the overall Legal, Governance and IP function.
If you are looking for an in-house role that gives you autonomy in a successful team and growing organisation, where your advice and guidance is highly valued and will contribute directly to the success of an ambitious business, please read on and apply!
What will you be doing?
- Providing construction advice to relevant internal clients;
- Drafting, negotiating and reviewing a wide range of construction documentation;
- Where appropriate, working with external counsel to deliver key stakeholder objectives;
- Drafting and negotiating JCT contracts and schedules of amendments;
- Drafting and negotiating mechanical handling equipment installation contracts for UK and international construction and engineering projects;
- Advising in respect of disputes and delays;
- Drafting and negotiating deeds of variation and supplemental agreements;
- Advising members of the UK and International Construction & Installation teams, Risk & Governance, Ocado Solutions and Group Property teams in connection with their construction and engineering queries;
- Drafting and negotiating professional appointments;
- Drafting and negotiating development agreements;
- Drafting and negotiating fit-out contracts;
- Drafting and negotiating collateral warranties;
- Producing and assisting in giving training to colleagues;
- Assisting with the construction and engineering aspects of real estate transactions; and
- Identifying and managing legal risks within engineering and construction contracts.
In addition, the successful candidate will need to identify and implement good practice and create template documents and keep up-to-date with new legislation and case law and share that knowledge with colleagues.
As is common with in-house roles, where appropriate, the successful candidate will also need to be able to advise on other areas of law from time to time.
Foreign travel may be necessary and a knowledge of FIDIC and NEC contracts would be beneficial as would familiarity with leases.
About you ?
- Qualified solicitor or barrister with specialism in Construction Law; 4-6 yrs post qualification would be highly desirable
- Experience in private practice and working with foreign construction lawyers on international projects.
- Experience supporting property lawyers as part of their transactions;
- Good academic qualifications;
- Clear drafting technique;
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise workload;
- Sound decision making;
- Good business acumen and commercially astute;
- Personable, with the ability to work well within a team environment and build relationships;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills;
- Can work to deadlines and manage competing demands from various stakeholders;
- Experience of working with technology organisations and/or engineering would be valued;
- Internationally minded with previous experience working in a global company understanding the nuances of operating in a global environment;
- Ability to work and communicate with people at all levels from hands-on operational workforces to board level;
- Significant experience of liaising with international legal counsel and coordinating international legal advice.
Ocado Group is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
About Ocado Group
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own groundbreaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate, and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry also means transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams, and developing new ways of working.
Ocado employee experience is very important to us, in Trident Place we offer weekly exercise classes,we have a games room, a coffee shop and an amazing food hall to satisfy you at any time of day with breakfast, lunch and dinner.
All Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 25 days holiday, 15% discount on your weekly Ocado shop, paternity and maternity leave, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships and family friendly offers.