Ocado has built and operates a series of large, automated Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) to satisfy increasing demand from customers for a high-quality and reliable delivery service for online grocery orders. Ocado has signed deals with a number of international Grocers to provide them with the Ocado Smart Platform to manage their automated CFCs and supporting head office software to provide a leading online grocery business.
As a result of our growth, a Construction and Installation team has been established to support our business and develop the capabilities needed to build and install the Ocado Smart Platform for ourselves and clients across the world. As Ocado transforms there is a growing need to support multiple complex projects across new styles and sizes of CFCs.
We are looking for a Quantity Surveyor in the Construction and Installation Team (C&I) to be able to manage and undertake the commercial management of the Ocado’s construction projects in the UK
What will you be doing?
- Ocado will employ external cost consultants on the major projects to undertake all pre-contract commercial services up to contract signature and the QS will monitor this and then take over the role as QS on the project. On projects less than £5 million the QS will undertake all of the commercial role
- Provide supplementary budget construction cost advice to assist with Business Case, developer negotiations and other financial approvals.
- Advise and manage cost implications/change of any subsequent design changes proposed by the design team; liaise with other consultants as necessary.
- Participate in pre-qualification and selection of tendering main contractors and attend interviews including Health and Safety liaison and CDM management.
- Co-ordinate and issue the tender documents for main, nominated and named and direct contractors. Liaise with all tenderers, issue addenda as required; analyse package tenders, resolve queries and issue bid placing reports.
- Prepare the Employer’s Requirements in liaison with the design team and our solicitor, incorporating designs and specifications prepared by the design team.
- Negotiate with the successful contractors to establish and agree the contract sum, report on the tenders received and make recommendations on the Bid Placing Report.
- Prepare all necessary Building Contract documentation and arrange for execution by the Client and contractors.
- Manage, track and monitor change through the fit out construction phase and agree value of change, attending meetings as required. This will be relevant to all types of contractor appointments.
- Update all forecasts on a monthly basis cost of the works (including Client direct fit out items) and cash flows comparing budget and actual costs
- Agree with the contractor the value of interim payments due under the Building Contract and issue recommendations.
- Give preliminary advice and early warning to the Ocado team to the validity of any claims made by the contractor or sub-contractors.
- Check the draft final account submitted by the contractor under the Building Contract and negotiate as required with the contractor. Relevant to all types of appointment.
- Prepare an estimate of the cost of reinstatement for fire insurance purposes on Practical Completion.
- Liaison with developer’s team on related enabling works cost matters.
- Advise on capital replacement costs of key shell and fit out elements.
- RICs qualified with experience in the industry
About Ocado Group...
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own ground breaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry means also transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams and developing new ways of working.
We are only a 20 minute commute from London King’s Cross and provide a free shuttle bus from Hatfield Station to the office!
Ocado employee experience is very important to us. As well as keeping a smile on your face with weekly massages, a games room, coffee shop, weekly food samples and an amazing food hall to satisfy your daily breakfast and lunch taste buds.. all Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 25 days holiday + the option to buy an additional 3 via salary sacrifice, 15% discount on your weekly Ocado shop, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships and much much more….
Our values: we’re in it together, we are proud of what we do, we can be even better…