Ocado Smart Platform (OSP) is an end-to-end online retail platform combining micro-service based software with modular and scalable hardware. In addition to market-leading ecommerce channels, the OSP brings together innovative technologies such as our highly automated warehouses, Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs), with our highly efficient routing engines or optimized supply chain & forecasting systems.
This is an exciting new role, focusing on providing competitive analysis expertise to help better understand best-in-class, global ecommerce user experiences and journeys, localised benchmarking insights, and retailer competitive intelligence.
As an expert in ecommerce , your critical eye will drive global online grocery competitive analysis, commercial and product insights, as well as any relevant global nuances to help shape the OSP platform product development and vision. As Analyst you will develop ongoing market/landscape and industry insight to identify gaps and/or competitive advantage and use your experience to actively use quantitative data to supplement qualitative research efforts helping ensure continuous and commercially-sound improvements.
As a member of the Solutions Product Marketing team, you will collaborate with a variety of teams in the business, from the Solutions Commercial and Product Strategy teams to Ocado Technology Product Management and UX teams.
Researching & Understanding Grocery
- Recommends, plans and conducts appropriate combinations of competitive research methods working collaboratively with Product and Commercial teams.
- Collaborates with Product Marketing Managers and Product Managers to decide when to use exploratory / discovery research to identify and understand core grocery commerce problems/opportunities
- Conducts regular research and competitive benchmarking to help OSP differentiate from other solutions
- Organises and curates a research insights library that can be shared to drive maximum value from research efforts.
- Responsible for gathering, using insights and generating organisational awareness of end to end services and different actor scenarios & needs.
- Responsible for creating & using customer journey flows, personas and empathy maps to visualise different actors' scenarios and flows for broader team and stakeholders.
- Source data and use it to challenge problems and assumptions together with qualified insights.
- Explore multiple approaches to a problem before deciding on a research approach.
Interaction Design and Information Architecture
- Apply research techniques to help drive understanding of the effectiveness of our competitors E-commerce strategy.
- Ensures user insights consider interactions holistically across multiple devices and technologies (e.g. apps, web, HTML, progressive web apps) and clarify various capabilities and limitations.
- Able to gather insight and actionable feedback on the fundamental principles of Visual design to validate the effectiveness of visual hierarchy & typography
- Identify inconsistencies, understand user impacts and share with the team to help improve the OSP platform design
- Understand the differences between native apps & responsive layouts when testing with users or sharing insights with the team.
- Demonstrates strong empathy with teams and customers to effectively balance competing needs
- Evangelises customer needs in a compelling way to a variety of audiences
- Leads the practice of Competitive Analysis and Insights
- Creates compelling insights and data to inform Senior management
- Demonstrates deep understanding and becomes a trusted source of information.
Skills Experience and Qualifications
- Relevant grocery retail industry experience and/or technology business
- Knowledge of working with mixed teams / functional areas, including product management, UX/UI
- Proven ability to plan, manage, track and deliver on commitments
- Intellectual rigour, possesses relevant abilities & is able to pick up new skills quickly
- Ability to work in a team effectively and / or work autonomously
- Ability to prioritise in a fast-paced environment
- Exposure to working with product and technology teams
- Understanding business needs and user requirements to synthesize relevant insights and recommendations.
- Experience working with product/ux areas that are strategically significant, highly complex, or feature a new area of technology, requiring expansion of the platform
- Demonstrate usage of deep UX subject matter expertise & experience working across functional areas.
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Income Protection
- 25 days holiday
- 15% Ocado discount
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
We will always aim to respond to everyone who applies for one of our roles. Sometimes though we have a lot of applicants and it takes us a little while to get back to everyone. If you haven’t heard from us within two weeks of your application, then you should take it that you have not been successful on this occasion and accept our apologies that we didn’t manage to get back to you personally.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.