“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Who are Product Operations?
Product Operations is a new but fast growing department within Ocado Technology. Their mission:
“Empower teams to effectively maximise valued realised in OSP for our clients and their customers”
The department is a ‘Centre of Excellence’ for Product Management, Analytics and Project Management, with responsibility for the overall OSP roadmap. The team lead the coordination of cross-platform initiatives, Release Management and Trialling, and the development of New Concepts. Product Operations partner closely with other central functions which support our product and engineering streams which are deciding what we build given market and stakeholder inputs. Each of the product operations functions provides essential services which will need to evolve with our product portfolio.
As Principal Project Manager what will I be responsible for?
As Principal Project Manager you will be building and leading the team responsible for facilitating effective delivery across all OSP streams. You will be accountable for delivering our major cross-stream programmes and initiatives on time. As the go-to person for our delivery operating model, you will partner with senior stream leadership and stakeholders across the Ocado Group to continuously improve our delivery approach.
You will manage a cross-functional team of Project Managers, Delivery Managers, Release Managers, Trialling Analysts and Technology Writers. The team will operate in a ‘central reporting, stream aligned’ matrix structure, bringing the benefits of both central collaboration and craft development plus local domain expertise.
How you’ll spend your time...
Leading and Influencing
- Ensure individuals and teams have actionable, measurable goals, aligned with Ocado Technology's strategy and vision
- Act as a craft leader, mentor and champion across Delivery and Project Management in Ocado Technology
- Build a high performing team, supporting individuals to thrive and the organisation to succeed (e.g. coaching, mentoring, inspiring, feedback, connecting people to experts in other fields)
Planning, Tracking & Delivery
- Lead with a planning mindset; thinking and planning one step ahead, without losing sight of the now
- Understand immediate resource conflicts and constraints between resources in your team, and resolve these conflicts as they arise
- A custodian of methodology, ensuring that your team are aware of and follow appropriate methodology at all times, by providing constructive feedback for areas of improvement
- In-the-know of all programmes and initiatives being delivered by your direct reports
- Deep domain knowledge of technical concepts and methodologies central to your work, and share this knowledge with your team
- Coach team members in communicating with clarity and engagement
- Communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, including large audiences and senior stakeholders, discerning appropriate detail and cadence
- Articulate complex concepts in a way that end-users can follow and understand
- Work effectively to achieve agreement with groups of stakeholders who may have different goals or motivations
- Identify and seek to resolve fundamental gaps and/or opportunities to align over multiple challenges, including gaps in team knowledge such as team development opportunities
- Ensure goal planning is a priority, facilitating regular and meaningful goal planning sessions. Actively measure team successes against these goals, and inspire your team to consistently reach these goals
- Lead with a bigger picture mindset, working towards and aligning with the delivery portfolio and collaborating cross-stream and cross-department
Risk and Issue Management
- Commercially minded and challenge the risks and issues assessed by your teams
- Coach your team in risk scoring and mitigation strategies
- Accountable for cross-stream and programme risk mitigation strategies
- Clearly articulate portfolio risk, supported by mitigation strategies and recommendations up to and including exec board stakeholders
We’d love to hear from you if you have…
- Broad experience with managing multiple programmes, across different domains, built by engineering and product teams using both agile and waterfall delivery approaches
- Knowledge of multiple functional areas including Delivery management, Project management, Product management, Engineering, UX/UI and Data Science
- Able to engage confidently in technical conversations with engineering teams
- Mentoring or managing others effectively and supporting development
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.