About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
We are Ecommerce and we build the online shopping experience for our retailer’s shoppers. Working with retail partners around the world, our team strives to create the next-generation ecommerce experience that will change the way the world shops.
As a result of reorg a new “Platform” department was formed. It’s mission is: We provide the Platform to power the world’s leading grocery Ecommerce solution by promoting world-class engineering solutions, leading product strategy for stream-wide challenges, empowering teams, sharing knowledge and evangelising best practices.
What would I be doing?
As a UX Designer for the Platform department your main focus will be on building and scaling our Salt Design System. You will ensure its usability and adoption by all stakeholders. We’ve already started our Design System journey, but as we, the UX team, grows and more and more engineers are relying on it, we face an ever-growing challenge in making it the single source of truth for our teams. Your role will consist of:
- Creating world-class design components, based on the best UI practices, following industry trends, and matching the highest accessibility standards.
- Maintaining our sketch library to make sure designers have an accurate and up-to-date knowledge of our design system, enabling them to build UIs in the most efficient way possible.
- Scaling our design system to every team in the department, working closely with iOS, Android, voice, and web engineers to create a common language we can all refer to.
- Documenting behaviors and states of our component to reduce uncertainty and development time.
We'd rally like to hear from you if you have...
- Past experiences working with a design system
- Relevant industry experience or technology business
- Actively created or helped to maintain, scaling, and documenting a design system.
- Fluent in working with Abstract, Sketch, React storybook
- Deep understanding of the native guidelines from Apple, Material, Alexa and React web.
- Detailed oriented, with a fine eye for misaligned pixels.
- Great collaboration and presentation skills, this role is to bring people together, not to work alone in a corner.
- Experience contributing to being part of a high performing UX teams when working alongside product & engineering
- Knowledge of working with mixed teams / functional areas, including product management, engineering, UX/UI
- Exposure to working with design and technology teams
- You contribute to being part of a high performing UX team when working alongside product & engineering
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.