This role provides UX expertise to underpin Ocado Technology's user focus, merging users and business needs to support the design of great products and solutions for our clients.
Working in the E-commerce product stream, the UX Designer will support product and engineering teams using their visual awareness, UX skills and technical aptitude to design accessible, user centred solutions that meet commercial goals and deliver an amazing user experience.
Role & Responsibilities
Product Alignment & Collaboration
- Have a flexible delivery focussed approach, liaising with UX Lead / Senior Product Manager to understand and align UX effort and priorities with roadmap objectives/deadlines
- Creates UX deliverables that meet user & product stream missions / objectives
- Monitors and tracks system usability when designing to ensure continuous and commercially sound improvements
Researching & Understanding User Needs
- Recommends research topics and themes with UX Researchers & Product teams
- Conduct simple design evaluations with Product team and identifies opportunities to validate designs
- Uses research insights to identify and prioritise opportunities, creating actionable design recommendations and iterations to product features
- Sharing meaningful insight based on research efforts with other UX Design and Product colleagues
- When designing, consider and use insights from touchpoints across the entire end-to-end service & the experience of different actors affected by the service
- Contribute to the creation of customer journey flows and empathy maps to help visualise different actors' scenarios and flows for broader team and stakeholders
- Challenge ideas/problems & validate solutions using data & insights from end users, retailers & stakeholders
- Facilitate design sprint workshops with UX, Product and Engineering teams to accelerate UX designs, turn agreed ideas into prototypes and ultimately build better solutions
- Create and encourage feedback frameworks/loops to improve, validate & iterate solutions with Product and Engineering teams
- Avoid bias when reviewing, shaping and validating ideas and solutions
- Measure & monitor how usable and inclusive a solution/feature is
- Mentor other designers about design thinking
Interaction Design and Information Architecture
- Consider user & business needs in understanding effectiveness of, and making simple improvements to existing Information Architecture structures
- Choose appropriate fidelity of prototype, and be competent in making high fidelity interactive, shareable prototypes to translate ideas into interactions
- Use prototypes to gain stakeholder buy in and defend UX design decisions using insights & data with Product and Engineering teams
- Consider existing design flows together with the capabilities and limitations of multiple devices and technologies (e.g. apps, web (HTML, progressive web apps) to design new interactions
- Create detailed wireframes to help developers build functionality
- Use understanding of technical constraints and differences between native apps & responsive layouts to create visual designs
- Create consistent compelling, delightful inclusive designs that are localisable, accessible and user friendly using best practice collaborative design techniques (e.g versioning)
- Contribute to the design system and uses typography and intuitive visual hierarchies to help the user understand a UI making designs consistent and coherent.
- Use data & research to influence, lead & explain the reasoning behind visual design & validates that designs are developed in line with the design spec.
- Helps to create a strong sense of purpose and mission for the UX team
- Shows empathy with product & engineering teams and customers
- Mentorship and coaching for junior product team members
- Evangelises customer needs in a compelling way to department and engineering teams
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Relevant industry experience or technology business
- Knowledge of working with mixed teams/functional areas, including product management, engineering, UX/UI.
- Proven ability to plan, manage, track and deliver on commitments.
- Intellectual rigour, possesses relevant abilities and is able to pick up new skills quickly.
- Ability to work in a team effectively and/or work autonomously.
- Ability to prioritise in a fast-paced environment.
- Exposure to working with design and technology teams.
- Capturing business needs and user requirements to support product realisation.
- You contribute to being part of a high performing UX team, working alongside product & engineering.
- You are flexible and adapt to changing business needs and can prioritise work effectively.
- You are self-managing, organised and able to plan, track and deliver your work on time and to a high standard.
- You have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism so that people will always want to have you in their teams.
- You are comfortable with processing and visualising data to help create insight, solve problems and inform recommendations.
- You are logical and take a structured approach even when there is ambiguity.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills with a good emphasis on careful listening.
- You don't settle for good enough, you strive for great in every aspect of your work.
- You share knowledge with others internally.
What we can offer you
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Ticket Restaurant
- Ticket Transport
- Ticket Kindergarten
- Flexible WFH policy
- Share-saving scheme
- Gym membership discounts
- Fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly social events
- Safari Books - O’Reilly account
- Table football, board games and Nintendo Switch
- Tech Talks and internal trainings
- Developer exchange programmes between centres
- English, Spanish and Catalan language courses
We are growing rapidly, making it a very exciting time to join, as we are currently at a brand new office in the 22@ district - the thrilling tech area of Barcelona.
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.