Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with the Kroger Family of Companies in the US to help redefine the grocery customer experience through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
The Superintendent - Ocado MHE (Material Handling Equipment), reports to the Engineering Project Manager. This role may not have any direct reports, but you may be expected to support and coach more junior or less experienced members of the team. You will be a part of the OSP (Ocado Smart Platform) MHE Implementation team. The OSP MHE Implementation team are responsible for on-site construction, contractor management and implementation of all components, machines and MHE systems for Customer Fulfilment Centers (CFCs) for Ocado and their clients both in the UK and abroad
Your role in the team is to:
- Understands electrical/mechanical installation standards in the U.S. to meet all OSHA and local regulations
- Will personally physically perform quality checks on pick stations, decant stations, etc. for all quality aspects to ensure proper installation both electrically and mechanically
- This role will require frequent time working in the field as well as time in the site office in meetings, completing reports, etc.
Day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Guide the local installer on how to use the installation manuals for the peripherals to install precise, quality MHE equipment
- Perform all seven install tests (Area Survey, Static and Dynamic Tests, to Full Handover to Commissioning) with contractor for each peripheral machine
- Have very hands on experience on electrical/mechanical installation of MHE equipment
- Direct the contractors on preferred methods of routing wire and method of containment- conduit, wire way, cable tray, etc.
- Perform basic mechanical checks- check that a guide is level, etc.
- Work closely with internal stakeholders (e.g. Engineering Operations, Business Project Managers, and Engineering Supply Chain) and external stakeholders to ensure a successful delivery of project and handover to Go-Live
- Ensure MHE equipment is successfully installed the first time to minimize any rework needed
- Communicate across teams and to project stakeholders ensuring expectations are managed
- Ensure program stay on plan, budget and meet specifications
- Identify and coordinate applicable engineering change requests
- Maintain the company's engineering standards
- Risk identification and mitigation, anticipating engineering challenges
- Take ownership of engineering problems, seeing them through to resolution
- Working with planning colleagues to create and maintain realization programs
- Produce/update and agree on the relevant Ocado HSE Risk Assessment
- Perform a documented handover process to the Engineering Project Manager for the implementation and handover phase
- Provide ad hoc project support post-handover
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- A minimum of 4 years' relevant experience in electrical and/or mechanical roles
- A minimum of 2 years' relevant experience in a management or supervisory level within
- Degree in Relevant Engineering Field Preferred
- Certifications/Licenses in electrical contracting a plus
- Experience managing the installation and commissioning of Automation Equipment, Conveyor systems preferred
What We Offer
- 401k Plan; 100% match up to 5% of earnings
- Paid Vacation and Sick Days
- 10 Paid Public Holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Reimbursement Account; Company Contribution of 50% of Annual Deductible
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
Learn about our partnership with Kroger:
- Kroger Bets on Robots With Ocado Deal
- Meet Ocado, Kroger’s Newest Weapon in Its Grocery Delivery War with Amazon and Walmart
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.