About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What will I be doing?
We’re looking for a Senior Technical Writer to work alongside the Technical Communications Practice Lead, to grow and support a distributed team of technical writers across multiple locations within Ocado Technology. The team’s collective goal is to provide best-in-class, localised documentation and information for Ocado Smart Platform (OSP).
OSP is a large-scale, end-to-end ecommerce and fulfilment platform, which is powering leading grocery retailers around the world. As such we’re providing a wealth of content to help our retail partners understand and adopt our platform, to help users use it, and to provide supporting content for training and onboarding. This ranges from application user guides, feature guides, and operating guides, as well as technical documentation such as API or data feed references, and more.
As Senior Technical Writer you’ll take ownership of our documentation standards and style, and ensure quality is embedded into our workflows. You’ll work with Lead Technical Writers to ensure all writers know and follow the standards we set for ourselves, whether that’s part of an onboarding process for new writers, during the standard review process, or when mentoring others.
You’ll work to help build a community of practice which is inclusive and promotes a sharing culture which allows all writers to contribute to our ways of working.
You’ll make sure that all our content development processes are well-defined, well-documented and accessible, so writers know exactly how to go about creating or updating documentation in all the different areas we support, and you’ll seek to improve any of those processes where possible. Where necessary, you’ll be responsible for communicating these processes and ways of working to the wider business.
When you’re not working on standards, quality, and process, you’ll work alongside the Practice Lead and other stakeholders to help shape the overall content strategy we employ to ensure we are providing usable and meaningful content to the different audiences we cater for, delivered in the most appropriate methods for those audiences. As we add new content types or reshape our content, you’ll run projects to roll out the new approach to the wider team. You’ll also be a significant contributor to the development of our careers model for writers.
How you will spend your days...
- Ensuring quality is central to how we work by owning, developing and communicating our documentation standards and styles.
- Developing the practices, guidelines and procedures needed to work as an effective team.
- Conducting content reviews and editing where necessary.
- Helping recruit new writers, overseeing the onboarding they receive, and guiding and mentoring less experienced writers in the team.
- Working with other stakeholders to develop a careers model for technical writers.
- Playing a significant role in defining both the content strategy for client-facing content, and the strategy for the growth and structure of the technical writing function.
- Working on content modelling and information architecture.
- Building a community of practice for technical writing within the business.
- Working with other key stakeholders to understand the documentation needs for our platform.
This is an exciting and influential role which requires someone who has a high level of relevant experience, but who is also a forward-thinker, with an eye on how new technologies, practices and ideas can help us solve content challenges as we scale.
We’re looking for someone who is an experienced technical writer, who has managed other writers or run a small department. We expect you to have a knowledge of current and emerging trends within the industry. You’ll be a content enthusiast - who knows the impact well-written content can have, and also who is looking to explore new ways of enhancing the experience of learning to use, and using, software and systems.
We would like to hear from you if you have experience:
- Writing in International English.
- Writing documentation for software, such as help instructions, user guides, release notes, and tutorials, according to accepted industry standards.
- Defining technical writing processes and style guides.
- Managing and coaching technical writers.
- Producing localised content and client-specific content.
- Of a wide-range of content management solutions.
- Working in an agile and continuous integration development environment.
- In information architecture and strategy.
- Inn SME and stakeholder management.
Key experience also includes...
- Exceptional written and spoken English.
- Leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills, to people of all levels.
- Excellent organisation and prioritisation skills.
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and to take the initiative to realise them.
- Eagerness to learn about and embrace different challenges.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
It is not essential, but it would be great if you also had experience:
- Using Jira for task management.
- Using non-standard approaches to technical writing, such as static site generators like Jekyll, and writing in Markdown.
- Using Git, or other version control systems.
- Documenting APIs and other technical integration solutions.
- Working with distributed teams across multiple locations.
What can we offer you?
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.