This role provides UX research expertise to underpin Ocado Technology's user focus, merging user and business needs to support the design of great products and solutions for our clients.
Working in E-commerce, the UX Researcher will collaborate with Product, UX Design and Engineering teams to use their UX Research skills to enhance understanding of user needs, problems, and goals, and generate/share insights that contribute to the design of accessible, user centred solutions that meet commercial goals and deliver an amazing user experience.
Role & Responsibilities
Product Alignment & Collaboration
- Works closely with Product teams to generate relevant customer insights & clear UX recommendations to inform UX ideation and solution design.
- Informs UX deliverables as aligned to product stream missions / objectives.
- Uses quantitative data to supplement qualitative research efforts helping ensure continuous and commercially sound improvements.
Researching & Understanding User Needs
- Recommends research topics and participant screening criteria with UX & Product teams
- Decide upon the best research method/s for a task
- Moderate/conduct unbiased user research sessions.
- Creates research insights to identify opportunities to improve customer experience
- Drives optimal value out of research by sharing meaningful insight with broader teams
- Gather & use insights from touchpoints across the entire end to end service & the experience of different actors affected by the service.
- Create & use customer journey flows, personas and empathy maps to visualise different actors' scenarios and flows for broader team and stakeholders.
- Source data and use it to challenge problems and assumptions together with qualified insights.
- Explore multiple approaches to a problem before deciding on a research approach.
- Contribute to ideation with Product, Engineering and UX teams, taking an inclusive approach by considering all users in all research activity.
- Be able to create hypotheses and assess them against success criteria.
Interaction Design and Information Architecture
- Apply research techniques to help drive understanding of the effectiveness of our I.A. & considers user needs with those of business, product & UX
- Ensures user insights consider interactions holistically across multiple devices and technologies (e.g. apps, web (HTML, progressive web apps) and clarify various capabilities and limitations.
- Able to gather insight and actionable feedback on the fundamental principles of Visual design to validate the effectiveness of visual hierarchy & typography
- Identify inconsistencies, understand user impacts and share with the team to help improve end designs
- Understand the differences between native apps & responsive layouts when testing with users or sharing insights with the team.
- Helps to create a strong sense of purpose and mission for the UX team
- Shows empathy with product & engineering teams and customers
- Mentorship and coaching for junior product team members
- Evangelises customer needs in a compelling way to department and engineering teams
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
- You actively demonstrate Ocado Technology behaviours in everything you do
- You contribute to being part of a high performing UX teams when working alongside product & engineering
- You are flexible and adapt to changing business needs and can prioritise work effectively
- You are self managing, organised and able to plan, track and deliver your work on time and to a high standard
- You have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism so that people will always want to have you in their teams
- You are comfortable with processing and visualising data to help create insight, solve problems and inform recommendations
- You are logical and take a structured approach even when there is ambiguity
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills with a good emphasis on careful listening
- You don't settle for good enough, you strive for great in every aspect of your work
- You share knowledge with others internally
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Relevant industry experience or technology business
- Knowledge of working with mixed teams / functional areas, including product management, engineering, UX/UI
- Proven ability to plan, mange, track and deliver on commitments
- Intellectual rigour, possesses relevant abilities & is able to pick up new skills quickly
- Ability to work in a team effectively and / or work autonomously
- Ability prioritise in a fast-paced environment
- Exposure to working with design and technology teams
- Capturing business needs and user requirements to support product realisation
What we can offer you
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Ticket Restaurant
- Ticket Transport
- Ticket Kindergarten
- Flexible WFH policy
- Share-saving scheme
- Gym membership discounts
- Fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly social events
- Safari Books - O’Reilly account
- Table football, board games and Nintendo Switch
- Tech Talks and internal trainings
- Developer exchange programmes between centres
- English, Spanish and Catalan language courses
We are growing rapidly, making it a very exciting time to join, as we are currently at a brand new office in the 22@ district - the thrilling tech area of Barcelona.
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.