“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouses that we design in-house, our world-class talent constantly moves the goal posts of what is possible to achieve through sustained technological disruption.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
About the team
You will join Advanced Technology, who are a division within Ocado Technology that solely focuses on the development of strategic and specifically complex and emergent technologies that are critical to the future of Ocado, Ocado Smart Platform (our B2B grocery business) and now General Merchandise.
One of the specialist areas of focus for the division is autonomous mobility. The Autonomous mobility team works on mobile automated systems including systems that can deliver customer orders from a distribution facility to a customer’s house using a road-based, goods-carrying autonomous vehicle (with no human passenger). Ultimately this will be extended to feature a robotic system for carrying the groceries from the autonomous vehicle to the customer’s doorstep and then into the kitchen.
What will I be doing?
As the Business Lead you will be working with the Head of Advanced Technology - Autonomous Mobility, where you will be responsible for defining and delivering an Autonomous Mobility Product Strategy and Commercial Strategy that continues to ensure the accelerated advancement of Ocado’s pioneering innovations that drive value for Ocado’s Grocery Partners and the wider Ocado Group. You will be a member of the Product Management team to provide clarity on business value whilst partnering with engineering teams to realise and deliver great products for our current and future clients.
You will be a visionary leader, with the relevant domain experience and insight necessary for working with such cutting edge technologies and systems, who in partnership with the Head of Advanced Technology - Autonomous Mobility, can harness and shape the product development opportunities into business benefit.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Develop and lead on the Autonomous Mobility Product Strategy
- Develop and lead on the Autonomous Mobility Commercial Strategy
- Work with the Head of Advanced Technology - Autonomous Mobility to execute the Product & Commercial Strategy into a successful proposition
In delivering your key responsibilities you will:
- Align with the Ocado Group strategy, design and drive the vision and product strategy for Advanced Technology - Autonomous Mobility to change the landscape of the market and grow Ocado’s addressable business opportunities in these domains
- Drive prioritisation and investment decisions across the Advanced Technology - Autonomous Mobility portfolio of work through understanding the technical capabilities of the products and the commercial impact and possibilities created through innovation across the autonomous mobility activity.
- Evangelise the product direction and help to lead the Advanced Technology - Autonomous Mobility team to success through building a high performing product team and working in close collaboration with Engineering, Research, Data Science and other disciplines within the division and across Ocado Group
- Help the team to execute the Autonomous Mobility goals and clearly communicate the plans within and outside of Ocado Technology
- Bring together the autonomous mobility product delivery plan and track progress on stream objectives and commitments
- Set and drive a culture of innovation, and empower wider teams to deliver fast to accelerate learning
We'd like to hear from you if you can demonstrate:
- Sufficient technical experience and understanding to be able to develop a roadmap for emergent technologies where the future capabilities are as influenced by the art of the possible as they are by what is needed by the business
- Sufficient commercial experience, analytical capability and business model experience to be able to develop a commercial exploitation strategy, business plan drawing on robust analysis. This will include estimating the labour savings arising from the use of new automation technologies and hence identifying corresponding budgets for the component parts of the technologies so as to achieve a target level of profitability
- Evidence of influencing at senior leadership level.
- Experience in leading cutting edge Products across software and hardware domains
- Delivering focus with comparable breadth of scope, product domain, and impact
You should highlight any attributes or experiences that are relevant to the scope of developing a road-based autonomous delivery system: e.g.
- Product definition and product management related to integration of safety critical software and hardware from multiple suppliers to create a coherent, safety-accredited, entire system that is practical and profitable to operate and offers an effective end-user experience
- Road-vehicle product definition, design, development and engineering to achieve a commercially favourable and safe platform
What we can offer you…
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.