Ocado Solutions is responsible for our corporate international partnerships, offering the proprietary Ocado Smart Platform (OSP) as a service to retailers around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado’s physical automation, allowing highly efficient preparation of orders, together with the full end-to-end software applications required to operate a world class online grocery business, bringing the best possible operational economics, consumer experience and service to our partners. Since 2017 we have signed agreements to provide our unique e-commerce solution to a number of the world’s largest grocers, including Groupe Casino (France), Sobeys (Canada), ICA (Sweden), Kroger (USA), Coles (Australia), AEON (Japan), joining our UK partner Morrisons and the Ocado/M&S joint venture. 50+ Customer Fulfilment centres (CFCs) are already committed across our various partners. We continue to invest significantly in our technology and people in order to deliver for current clients and to forge exciting new partnerships.
About the role
The Ocado Solutions Commercial team is responsible for:
i) Signing new international partners, managing the full sales process from research and initial contact to detailed joint work and ultimately contract signing.
ii) Realising new commercial opportunities with existing partners
We are looking for highly capable candidates with proven experience in strategy (strategy consulting or in-house strategy/business development team in retail industry) or investment banking with retail experience and cross-functional project management to help deliver Ocado Solutions’ ambitious growth plans.
The Head of Commercial Projects will be responsible for leading multiple business development projects in parallel, managing and staffing this strong team, and overseeing their activities. They will also contribute to Ocado’s commercial strategy and processes, holding responsibility for how products are priced and positioned. They will hold a key role in the successful delivery of Ocado’s ambitious growth plans.
The Head of Commercial Projects will report to the Chief Commercial Officer and will work closely with the Ocado leadership team, including the CEO of Ocado Solutions and Executive Directors of Ocado Group.
The role is typically based in Ocado's head office in Hatfield (20-30 mins train from London) with regular UK and international travel. Per government advice we expect to be mostly remote working in the short term, with only occasional travel. In the longer term there will be flexibility to continue to work-from-home part of the week.
- Lead multiple (between three and five) simultaneous sales plans with potential and existing clients at varying levels of business development maturity
- Be the lead Ocado Solutions contact for selected client relationships, using consultative selling skills to understand the needs of senior client stakeholders, define project plans, advise clients on strategic direction and make a compelling business case
- Build and deepen relationships with potential partners, and where appropriate continue those relationships post signing
- Develop and maintain commercial strategies, tactics and processes e.g. pricing and positioning of products
- Oversee the work of project managers and associates, support their problem solving and maintaining momentum on projects
- Contribute to deal negotiation strategy and execution, and the closure of OSP deals
- Ensure deal pricing and profitability is at an acceptable level
- Support a commercially successful and ever-evolving product strategy
- Develop a strong personal understanding of customer trends and requirements in the global retail market and of the retail channel shift; develop the team’s understanding of these dynamics; ensure our information is up-to-date and relevant
- Build productive working relationships with subject matter experts across Ocado to facilitate successful sales activities
- Measure and accelerate progress on defined sales projects
- Allocate Ocado Solutions resources appropriately to align them with client requirements and Ocado Solutions priorities
- Define and lead the improvement of team processes and materials
- Recruit, motivate and jointly manage a high quality team of 8 Managers and Associates
Skills, experience and qualifications
- Significant experience in top tier strategy consulting, finance or business development role
- Top quality academic background
- Experience in Retail/FMCG and tech/ecommerce
- Good understanding of commercial developments within the retail market
- Excellent analytical, and presentation skills
- Experience in business development activities
- Experience recruiting and managing teams within budgetary constraints to quality standards and targets
- Excellent relationship management abilities with the ability to influence others
- Excellent leadership, project management and multi-tasking skills
- Very comfortable dealing with data, analytics and financial modelling
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Highly driven, passionate and intellectually curious
- Experience of working internationally
- Experience in software and/or automation industries
- Speaks foreign languages to the level where they can conduct business
Benefits for this role include: Pension, Private medical insurance, Employee discount on Ocado.com, Life assurance, Income protection, Employee Assistance Programme, Share schemes and 25 days holiday (rising to 27 after five years’ service).
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado Group is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.