About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What will I be doing as a Technical Writer?
For our new Platform department within the Ecommerce stream, we are looking for a Technical Writer to drive the content strategy for our new suite of APIs. This is an exciting opportunity to support bringing an additional ecommerce proposition to the market.
To be successful, you’ll need to have proven experience in creating developer documentation, be confident documenting cross-sectional, technical topics, and be keen to work with the product and engineering teams to shape the direction this new product takes.
As a Technical Writer, you will provide technical communication support to the cross-functional team of 9. This initial team has been kept small to allow us to be nimble, however, this is an area of key strategic importance.
You will get involved in the development of new features and functionalities from conception through to release.
While you will work directly with a development team, you are a member of a technical writing team within your business stream, which provides the support, guidance and education needed to perform the role, and also a wider Technical Communications unit. Therefore, you will be also expected to take an active role in furthering the aims of the technical writing team.
You will do this by contributing to improve the practices and working methods that are followed, and to enhance the clients’ experience of using the OSP Help and Learning Centre.
How will I spend my days...
- Producing clear, easy-to-read, and consistent documentation and supporting content for our APIs and data feeds predominantly.
- Writing user guides, feature explainers and release notes.
- Ensuring consistent attribute naming for technical features.
- Becoming a subject matter expert for the areas you work on.
- Working closely with Product Managers, Developers, and other Technical Writers.
- Understanding the needs of Training Managers responsible for training clients in the use of our software, to ensure help content supports and complements their efforts.
- Reviewing and proofreading other writers’ work.
- Contributing to the working methods and processes of the wider Technical Communications team.
We’re looking for someone who has strong technical writing experience, particularly in the API area, and is a content enthusiast - who knows the impact well-written content can have, and also who is looking to explore new ways of enhancing the experience of learning to use, and using, the software with new and emerging approaches.
We would like to hear from you if you have experience...
- Developing API documentation.
- Documenting cross-sectional, technical topics.
- Technical writing for software, such as help instructions, user guides, release notes, and tutorials, according to accepted industry standards.
- Writing for user interfaces, and to be able to demonstrate what makes effective UI writing and what doesn’t.
- experience of working directly with development teams.
We'd be looking for you to have...
- The ability to understand the different needs of different audiences, and to be able to adjust the approach accordingly.
- Impeccable written English, and the ability to write consistently and concisely in accordance with a style guide.
- The ability to write easy-to-read, fluent text in plain English, and the capability to organise content clearly
- Proven ability to understand sometimes complex flows or technical information, and to be able to explain them clearly and simply to an end-user.
- Ability to work independently to tight deadlines, across multiple projects simultaneously.
It is not essential, but it would be great if you also had experience...
- Writing for internationalisation - and working with software and content that is delivered in multiple languages.
- Using static site generators such as Jekyll, and writing in Markdown.
- Using Git, or other version control systems.
What can we offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.