Ocado provides innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world with nine partnerships across North America, Europe, Asia and Australasia. To match consumer demand in the UK and to enable our business to provide solutions to our partners across the globe, we are scaling quickly. Over 2021 we’ll be live with OSP across seven of our international partners.
As we transform into an international technology solutions partner, we are also evolving and expanding our legal function and have an exciting opportunity for a lawyer to provide the business with corporate and commercial pragmatic legal advice as the business transforms and expands internationally.
As our Corporate and Commercial Counsel you will be accountable for providing legal advice, across our matrix organisation meeting expectations at pace on all aspects of domestic and international M&A as well as other corporate and capital markets activity, offering counsel on legal issues and facilitating the development of business strategies, whilst overseeing and maintaining legal compliance and limiting risk and potential exposure.
Reporting into the Head of Legal - Commercial, you will work together with your peers who have international responsibilities. You will be collaborative in your approach with others across our growing business, building strong partnerships across different client areas at all levels in particular with the Strategy Team.
You will be an integral part of the Commercial Legal Team and a key member of the overall Legal, Governance and IP function.
If you are looking for an in-house role that gives you autonomy in a successful team and growing organisation, where your advice and guidance is highly valued and will contribute directly to the success of an ambitious business, please read on and apply!
What will you be doing?
- Supporting on a wide range of domestic and international corporate and M&A transactions, investments and reorganisations;
- Ensuring compliance with corporate governance (including competition/antitrust policies) as part of any deal process or project;
- Advising and supporting on integration aspects of both new and existing investments and acquisitions;
- Supporting on capital markets transactions;
- Drafting and advising on intra-group arrangements and agreements;
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on a range of commercial contracts and agreements including high value engineering, logistics, procurement and IT agreements;
- Involvement in transactions with, and advising in respect of, prospective and existing clients of the Ocado Solutions Platform;
- Liaising and managing external counsel effectively from a delivery, risk and cost perspective on a daily basis.
- Developing strong working relationships with key business functions in the UK and Internationally
About you ?
- Qualified Solicitor/Barrister with approximately four-six years post qualification experience as a general corporate lawyer (but this does not preclude applications from those with more or less PQE)
- Ideally will have trained with a leading law firm or well-respected in-house team with a particular focus on corporate, capital markets and commercial transactions
- Excellent level of domestic and cross border transactional legal experience (particularly US cross border transactions), including advising on and managing complex corporate/M&A transactions, capital raises and other capital markets transactions, reorganisations and joint venture/collaboration arrangements as well as corporate advisory work
- Solid experience of drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide variety of commercial contracts including in some of the following areas: technology investments, engineering and IT procurement, licensing, master service agreements, collaboration agreements, general terms and conditions, SaaS subscription agreements, logistics & distribution agreements and e-commerce agreements.
- Can work to deadlines and manage competing demands from various stakeholders.
- Experience of working with technology organisations and/or engineering would be valued
- Internationally minded with previous experience working in a global company understanding the nuances of operating in a global environment.
- Ability to work and communicate with people at all levels from hands-on operational workforces to board level.
- Significant experience of liaising with international legal counsel and coordinating international legal advice.
Ocado Group is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
About Ocado Group
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own groundbreaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate, and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry also means transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams, and developing new ways of working.
Ocado employee experience is very important to us. As well as keeping a smile on your face with weekly massages, a games room, coffee shop and an amazing food hall to satisfy your daily breakfast and lunchtime taste buds! All Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 25 days holiday, 15% discount on your weekly Ocado shop, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships, and family-friendly offers.