About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Retrieval robotics is a cutting edge team of engineers, product managers and project managers who develop Ocado’s own hardware and software solutions to the Ocado Smart Platform. The 'Bot' is the poster boy and backbone product for this team. Members work on designing and launching improvements to existing BOT’s and developing brand new ones to keep OSP at the pinnacle of performance for our clients.
The main purpose of the Product Manager role is to work directly with one of our development teams to envision the future of our BOT automation solutions, which includes bespoke systems in robotic vehicles, automated machinery, support equipment and simulation modelling. You will work side-by-side with an Engineering Team Lead, being jointly accountable for the delivery of your products. Our environment is one of cutting edge product development with a focused approach to constant delivery of high value solutions. As a Product Manager, you are at the core of the development methodology.
What I will be doing...
- Developing a deep understanding of the business processes within our warehouses and understand where your products fit in
- Being a go to person for knowledge about the product
- Building relationships with stakeholders within the business, our warehouse operational teams and also internally within Ocado Technology
- Working with stakeholders to define scope and prioritise stories to maximise business value.
- Maintaining the engineering team’s focus on delivering value, balancing multiple streams of requirements and schedules so that they can concentrate on what they do best: delivering great products!
- Being involved in getting your products live in our production environments
- Developing a deep understanding of the various technical systems that the development team are actively working on to enable you to act as a proxy for the team
- Developing the product vision and strategy to drive our products forward
- Constantly be monitoring progress, looking for ways to improve the product and make adjustments based on strategic goals
- Product backlog management, including defining user stories and prioritisation
We’d love to hear from you if you have...
- Demonstrable experience of working in an agile environment, ideally as a Product Owner, Product Manager or a similar role
- Proven ability to plan, manage, track and deliver on commitments
- The ability to work in a team effectively and work autonomously as appropriate
- An understanding and appreciation for industrial automation development and design
- Strong technical skills and an analytical mind set
- Experience defining product roadmaps and building collaboratively with design and engineering peers
It would be great but it’s not essential if you have…
- Domain experience with automation or embedded systems
- Ability to estimate the value of features or changes, performing cost-benefit analysis and constructing business cases
- Experience delivering or managing turnkey projects
- Previous experience launching hardware products in multiple territories
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.