The Content Strategist is part of a wider technical communications community but will work alongside one or more development teams to provide all content related to the development, release and use of products and features. This ranges from writing help instructions, through to writing UI text and messages, release notes, API and data feed reference material, and preparing any other documentation or content needed for usage and training.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Content Strategist is responsible for the delivery of all written content relating to the development and release of products or features for Ocado Smart Platform (OSP).
Working directly with several development teams, your role is to provide technical communication support to the team(s) and get involved in the development of new features and functionalities from conception through to release.
While you will work directly with a development team, you are a member of a technical writing team within your business stream, which provides the support, guidance and education needed to perform the role, and also a wider Technical Communications unit.
As a Technical Writer you will:
- Produce clear, easy-to-read, and consistent documentation and supporting content, for end-user systems and apps.
- Produce developer documentation, such as, API and data feed reference material - depending on your experience and skill set
- Write concise, usable UI text in accordance with the UI style guide, and ensure consistent attribute naming for technical features.
- Become a subject matter expert for the areas you work on.
- Work closely with Product Managers, UX Designers, Developers, and other Technical Writers.
- Produce consistent screenshots and other visualisations.
- Review and proofread other writers’ work.
- Contribute to the working methods and processes of the wider Technical Communications team.
We’re looking for someone who:
- is a content enthusiast - who knows the impact a well-written content can have
- is experienced enough to take ownership of the assigned work and manage their stakeholders independently
- understands the need of adhering to company style guides and best practices
- is willing to learn and is driven by exploring new areas of technical writing craft
- is a team player
What we offer:
- A friendly team of people who are very keen on sharing their knowledge and experience.
- Full on-the-job training with the assigned buddy.
- Exposure to writing a variety of documentation types.
- Working alongside people from different departments (managers, developers, UX designers and researchers).
- A fantastic environment to grow your skills and develop your Technical Writing career.
- Flexible working plan: you will be expected to work from the office for two days a week, the other days you can work from home.
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
We need you to have:
- Proven technical writing experience for software, such as help instructions, user guides, release notes, and tutorials, according to accepted industry standards.
- Ability to understand the different needs of different audiences, and to be able to adjust the approach accordingly.
- Impeccable written English, and the ability to write consistently and concisely in accordance with a style guide.
- The ability to write easy-to-read, fluent text in plain English, and the capability to organise content clearly.
- Proven experience of working directly with development teams.
- Proven ability to understand sometimes complex flows or technical information, and to be able to explain them clearly and simply to an end-user.
- Ability to work independently to tight deadlines, across multiple projects simultaneously.
Experience in the following areas would be a plus:
- Writing for user interfaces, and to be able to demonstrate what makes effective UI writing and what doesn’t.
- Writing API documentation.
- Using Git, or other version control systems.
- Using static site generators such as Jekyll, and writing in Markdown.
- Working in an Agile environment
- Writing for internationalisation - and working with software and content that is delivered in multiple languages.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.