About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What the team does
Simulation is one of the core competencies of Ocado Technology and forms the basis of much of our innovative new technology. We use it to develop new products, improve our existing products and do large scale testing of our technology. You won’t be tucked away in a corner, instead you’ll be at the heart of innovation in Ocado Technology. In this role you will be supporting the development of world-class In-store fulfillment solutions for our clients. This product has allowed our clients to scale quickly during the pandemic and is a core part of our strategic offering.
The team you will product manage consist of 5 highly skilled software engineers. Your key stakeholders include the operational ISF development teams, data science, operational experts and Ocado Solutions as part of sales and product development support.
What you will be doing
As Product Manager, you will partner with an Engineering Team Leads and be the key go-to person for the ISF (in-store fulfilment) Simulation team. You will share responsibility for product realisation to deliver great simulation products and solutions across ISF. As Product Manager you will provide clarity and consistency of business requirements. You will act as a bridge between the technical and business worlds, ensuring delivery is aligned with strategic ISF initiatives and work closely with other simulation teams and other ISF teams.
Your key responsibilities will include
Leading and Influencing
- Partners with Engineering Team Lead(s) to create a strong sense of purpose and mission for the development team
- Acts as the go-to person for the simulation product area
- Establishes product alignment within Technology being the voice of the vision/strategy/priorities within the divisions
- Role models behaviours and applies Ocado Technology principles in day to day work
- Evangelises customer needs in a compelling way to department and engineering teams
- Champions the product vision & ensures the plan is in line with vision and goals and continues to be fit for purpose throughout roadmap delivery
- Understands how their product fits in with the broader platform
- Provides product expertise based on a sound understanding of the platform and capability requirements
- Defines scope & prioritises stories to maximise business value
- Leverages multiple sources of information to analyse user, system, and customer behaviour to diagnose and form clear recommendations
- Evangelises and embeds best practices in tracking, analysis, and data-driven problem solving
- Uses qualitative and quantitative methods to understand customer/business needs and opportunities, collaborating with UX and data science where appropriate.
- Experiments quickly to validate hypotheses and find fit for purpose solutions
Planning, Delivery and Validation
- Shares accountability with the Engineering Team Lead to drive the team towards realising defined goals
- Applies fit-for-purpose agile processes, escalating and removing obstacles in workflow wherever required
- Manages expectations within Technology for the rate of delivery required to achieve our platform goals
Stakeholders and Collaboration
- Evangelises simulation capabilities to internal teams as well as external customers
- Builds strong relationships with team and stakeholders - establishing methods for obtaining product feedback
- Articulates complex concepts in a way that end-users can follow and understand
- Facilitates and works closely with teams in estimation and review sessions, challenging appropriately to meet product goals and achieve product vision
- Works closely with UX teams to ensure product design is focused around usability and quality
The experience we would like to see is…
- Experience of managing and delivering high value outcomes from open-ended, research type initiatives
- Applying modelling and simulation to a wide variety of application areas
- Experience with managing products built by engineering teams
- Defining product roadmaps, building collaboratively with design and engineering peers, and shipping at scale
- Proven ability to articulate complex and nuanced insights to a wide variety of stakeholders
We would like to hear from you if you have...
- Other relevant domain experience with ISF or similar products
- Experience in algorithm development
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.