To partner with Engineering teams within Technology, providing clarity of business requirements across relevant product stream areas and acting as a bridge between the technical and business worlds. This role will directly partner with one or more Engineering Team Leads and other Product Manager(s) of the Customer domain, to be a key go-to person within a specific product area, sharing responsibility for product realisation to deliver great products and solutions for our clients and stakeholders.
The Customer department aims at creating a great shopping experience by building the intelligence around the shopper, their preferences and habits, as well as managing the different interaction points between the retailer and the customer. It takes care of many aspects of the customer’s personal area as well as features during the shopping journey based on their personalised habits, using machine learning and personalisation tools.
The department is split into two Clusters. One is all about making recurrent shopping easier and effortless. The more we know about our customers’ shopping habits, the better we’ll get at predicting what they need in a particular moment of their shopping journey, ensuring that building their basic basket is simple and straightforward.
The other, which is where the vacancy is in, revolves around knowing and understanding our customers. We want to generate the best insights in order to enable other teams and the retailers to optimally adapt the proposition to their needs. We will understand the customer’s preferences and keep their data safe. We will also provide a platform for retailers and other ecommerce departments to be in touch with them and establish a two-way relationship that keeps them engaged with the brand.
Some of the products in this cluster are: Profiler tool, Single Sign On, push and email notifications, RTBF, Live chat, Customer addresses, Super User, and many more.
The team is currently being set up, and will take an end to end ownership of Customer registration and login, Right to be Forgotten, Audit service and Super User. The Mission for this team is still to be better defined and refined by the team members, but we want to focus on generating trust in our platform as to retaining and managing Customer data, while creating a holistic view on the friction challenges for the customer and the value we can add by better managing it. This is a very exciting area for a Product Manager to own, define and evolve, with a very broad impact across Ecommerce.
Role & Responsibilities
Leading & Influencing
- Partners with Engineering Team Lead(s) to create a strong sense of purpose and mission for the development team
- Acts as the go-to person for particular product areas covered by the development team
- Establishes product alignment within Technology being the voice of the vision/strategy/priorities within the division
- Role models behaviours and applies Ocado Technology principles in day to day work
- Evangelises customer needs in a compelling way to department and engineering teams
- Makes effective decisions with clear rationale, using appropriate tools for the scenario
- Champions the product vision & ensures the plan is in line with vision and goals and continues to be fit for purpose throughout roadmap delivery
- Understands how their product fits in with the broader platform
- Provides product expertise based on a sound understanding of the platform and capability requirements, signposting to technical knowledge where needed
- Engages stakeholders effectively to gather user feedback to continuously refine the product roadmap
- Defines scope & prioritises stories to maximise business value
- Understands and measures the key business drivers for their product domain and assess how new capabilities impact upon them
Insight & Innovation
- Actively seeks out opportunities for incremental value in achieving product goal commitments
- Works with other PMs to continuously improve realisation processes and policies that govern it
- Monitors progress, looking for ways to improve the product & make adjustments based on strategic goals
- Contributes to documentation that is shared with relevant stakeholders as new features are developed and released
- Proactively shares product knowledge, insight and tools with others Ocado Technology and representing Ocado expertise externally when necessary
- Maintains an appropriate level of skills and the necessary capacity to fulfil product realisation responsibilities
- Leverages multiple sources of information to analyse user, system, and customer behaviour to diagnose and form clear recommendations
- Evangelises and embeds best practices in tracking, analysis, and data-driven problem solving
- Drives through issues and ambiguity with a structured approach and facilitative approach
- Uses qualitative and quantitative methods to understand customer/business needs and opportunities, collaborating with UX and data science where appropriate.
- Experiments quickly to validate hypotheses and find fit for purpose solutions
Planning, Delivery & Validation
- Shares accountability with the Engineering Team Lead to drive the team towards realising defined goals
- Applies fit-for-purpose agile processes, escalating and removing obstacles in workflow wherever required
- Maintains a list of work to be done and its order of priority for delivery purposes at an appropriate level of granularity
- Manages expectations within Technology for the rate of delivery required to achieve our platform goals
- Collaborates with other product people to effectively schedule work between teams to minimize lead time of delivering value
- Proactively identifies risks and challenges within their product area and takes appropriate actions to mitigate them
Stakeholders & Collaboration
- Applies strong emotional intelligence when working with other teams and departments to manage interdependencies between platforms and products effectively
- Builds strong relationships with team and stakeholders - establishing methods for obtaining product feedback
- Articulates complex concepts in a way that end-users can follow and understand
- Forms close working relationships with peers and key stakeholders, creating an environment of open collaboration
- Facilitates and works closely with teams in estimation and review sessions, challenging appropriately to meet product goals and achieve product vision
- Works closely with UX teams to ensure product design is focused around usability and quality
This role description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- You actively lead and role model Ocado Technology behaviours
- You contribute to being part of a high performing product teams, working alongside engineering
- You respond positively to new / changing business requirements and prioritise accordingly
- You are highly organised and able to plan, manage, track and deliver effectively
- You are assertive but diplomatic and have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism
- You proactively solve problems, facilitating decision making processes and comfortable putting together recommendations based on insights drawn from data
- You are comfortable sorting out ambiguity and bring structure and clarity of purpose to a conversation
- You communicate directly and clearly, with a strong emphasis on careful listening
- You don't settle for good enough, you strive for great in every aspect of your work
- You have a great track record of working with engineering and design teams so that people will always want to have you in their teams
- You share knowledge with others internally
- Relevant industry experience or technology business
- Experience with managing products built by engineering teams
- Knowledge of working with multiple functional areas, including product management, engineering, UX/UI
- Proven ability to plan, mange, track and deliver on commitments
- Ability to work in a team effectively and / or work autonomously
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Defining product roadmaps, building collaboratively with design and engineering peers, and shipping at scale
- Capture, documentation and communication of requirements to support product realisation
What we can offer you
A relaxed, international, talented, creative and friendly environment, where we will provide you with the best tools to develop amazing stuff. We invest in our employees, ensuring we provide them with the best in-house and external training programs available. We also really encourage people to attend conferences and be involved in the local developer community.
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- 25 days of holidays per year
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance (3x your salary)
- Ticket Restaurant
- Ticket Transport
- Ticket Kindergarten
- Gym membership discounts
- Fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly social events
- Table football, board games and Nintendo Switch
- Tech Talks and internal trainings
- Developer exchange programmes between centers
- English, Spanish and Catalan language courses
We are growing rapidly, making it a very exciting time to join, as we are currently at a brand new office in the 22@ district - the thrilling tech area of Barcelona.
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.