“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Visualisation Team - Who are we?
We build 3D tools to help us design new warehouses, and analyse their behaviour through visually playing back events from either simulation or production. The visualisation playback is augmented with visual analytics, allowing us to assess system behaviour by indicating internal state through colour as well as the physical movement of entities within the warehouse.
The core applications that the visualisation team are responsible for are:
As part of Ocado’s Research and Development department, and specifically the Simulation Team, the Visualisation Team contribute to the innovation that fuels Ocado’s growth. Candidates should be comfortable working with both technical and non-technical users on requirement gathering, result analysis, and bug resolution. The candidate should also be able to self-identify areas for improvement as well designing and implementing novel features that will benefit a range of user roles.
The Simulation Teams work alongside many areas of Ocado, in and outside of Ocado Technology, including the CFC Systems, Engineering and Logistics Development teams. Good communication skills are essential, as is attention to detail, and the ability to represent large volumes of complex data in simple visual forms suitable for the intended audience.
The roles and responsibilities of this role include:
- Implementing new visualisation features
- Supporting the existing portfolio of tools
- Liaising with stakeholders or relevant product managers to agree on the specification for new visualisation functionality
- Assisting and training users of the tooling
Skills and experience we'd like to see...
- 2.1 BSc in Computer Science or a numerate degree
- Strong analytical skills
- Highly motivated
- Fast Learner
Bonus points if you also have...
- Strong 3D maths skills
- Solid C#/.Net (C#7 and .Net4.5 or later)
- Visual Studio experience
- Knowledge of DirectX/HLSL or OpenGL/GLSL
- Experience of GUI design
- An interest in short cycle, customer oriented development
- Python and SQL experience
What we look for
- 2.1 BSc in Computer Science or a numerate degree
- Solid Java (ideally Java 8)
- Knowledge of Guava, Maven and Jenkins preferable
- Strong analytical and statistical skills
- Python experience desirable, particularly in a data mining and analysis setting
- Experience and interest in Real-time Systems preferable
- Experience and interest in optimisation techniques preferable
- We occasionally use some AI and Machine Learning techniques - whilst not a large part of the job, experience and interest in this area would be a plus
Don't worry! This is not a set in stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from so many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of the team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield office
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.