What does the Team do
The External Collaborations team builds relationships and projects with academic and industrial R&D partners to investigate and evaluate future technologies and methodologies to support the innovations in Ocado Technology.
We are a small team of engineers, researchers, designers and analysts defining and working on projects such as PROTEIN, a EU Horizon2020 funded project on Personalised Nutrition and Activity; Hertfordshire Living Lab, for a range of experimentation in the wild; and Airspace of the Future, investigating the future applications of drones; and Code For Life, our flagship digital skills programme. The team disseminates the project results into Ocado Technology to launch exploitation and manages collaboration through reporting, workshops and research conferences.
What would I be doing?
You will be working on the PROTEIN project developing an Android mobile application to provide smart personalised nutritional and activity advice. In addition, the role will involve contributing to the development of a digital twin of the urban environment as part of Hertfordshire Living Lab project. Specifically:
- The candidate will be required to lead the development of the back end software components and their integration.
- Take part in the development of a mobile shopping application for the PROTEIN project, as part of the project effort.
- To design and develop the server side of mobile and web applications for the projects.
- Take an active role in the choice of techniques adopted for the software development for both client and server side.
- Conduct functional and non-functional testing like load, security and performance.
- Provide documentation and project reporting of the system architecture and operation.
- Collaborating with the team and other project members to set specifications for the application development.
- Attend regular meetings, internal and external, to facilitate system hand-over.
- Work closely with other team members and other stakeholders on issues relating to performance and integration requirements.
What we are looking for
- A post-graduate qualification in a relevant area, or a demonstrable track record of the applications development.
- Proficient in server-side development (Java, J2EE);
- Proficient in database development, e.g. MySQL;
- Ability to set-up and maintain web services;
- Familiarity with cloud service development for mobile and/or web applications, e.g. Google Cloud, Docker, Kubernetes;
- Ability to work with and configure continuous integration tools to automate test and deployment, e.g. Travis, Jenkis;
- Ability to set-up and maintain a server, either locally (e.g. Debian, Ubuntu server) or on the cloud;
- Ability to write secure, clean, maintainable and reusable code;
- Strong object oriented programming skills and deep knowledge of design patterns;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- A keen eye for detail, with the inquisitiveness and drive for in-depth understanding
- Speed of learning, ability to quickly pick up and develop new ideas, and use a wide range of tools to solve challenging problems
- Ability to communicate clearly and precisely with technical and non-technical teams, both verbally and in writing
- Drive to continually improve and find better ways of working as a team
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- Other software development skills of interest are those applicable to real-time systems and multi-tasking/multi-threading
- Knowledge of mobile communication architecture and front-end tools, e.g. Android SDK, Object-C, Swift, C#
- Experience developing mobile applications relying on cloud services
- Experience working with Agile methodologies
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques and/or keen interest in machine learning
- Knowledge of Google Cloud Platform (Compute Engine, BigQuery, DataFlow, DataProc, Cloud Storage)
- Previous experience working with large data sets
About Ocado Technology
"We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.